Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Positioning of shaft anode

Earlier this year after finding the propellor anode on my then new Featherstream was pretty well eaten away after 8 months, I fitted two shaft anodes to try to mitigate this. In fact there may be no scientific basis for this at all as the prop anode deals, I think, with the difference between the bronze boss and the stainless steel blades. They were positioned as so:

IMG_0906.jpg

This is after 6 months so noticeable improvement in prop anode degradation. In avoiding placing them in the middle of the shaft (section from P bracket to hull is fairly short) the aim was to mitigate any vibration. I recall that Vyv Cox has said shaft anodes should be close to prop they are meant to protect so would it be better to place both together about 2.5cm from the P bracket - or would putting weight at one end of shaft cause vibration?

Default Re: Positioning of shaft anode

These MG Duff MGD range are much better due the the steel reinforcing band cast in so dont fall off

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    These MG Duff MGD range are much better due the the steel reinforcing band cast in so dont fall off

I haven't yet had one fall off.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

The worst place for rotordynamic reasons is in the middle between bearings. Near the cutless bearing is better from this POV and also better for protection. Painting the prop with a good paint system is better for corrosion and would reduce fouling considerably.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

It just crossed my mind that maybe I should be hanging on to all the zinc I come across.

I am currently melting down wheel weights for ballast but a lot of the wheel weights are zinc which is easily melted. Is there any point in holding on to some of it?

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    It just crossed my mind that maybe I should be hanging on to all the zinc I come across.

I am currently melting down wheel weights for ballast but a lot of the wheel weights are zinc which is easily melted. Is there any point in holding on to some of it?
    No
    The zinc used for anodes is a special high purity grade, with very low lead, copper and critically iron content but with the addition of small amounts of cadmium and aluminium

It is usually to the US military specification MIL-A-18001K

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    No
    The zinc used for anodes is a special high purity grade, with very low lead, copper and critically iron content but with the addition of small amounts of cadmium and aluminium

It is usually to the US military specification MIL-A-18001K
    Thanks for that. I will heed your advice but there wouldn't be any iron or copper but there could be lead though. (I was starting to curse the fact that I must have turfed out 20kg or so but now I can relax )

My boat will be in sea water but I didn't know that magnesium anodes should be used in freshwater.
    " An alloy much more active than zinc or aluminum is needed. Magnesium is the answer. A magnesium anode is a super activated metal which means it will protect more efficiently in fresh water. Traditional zinc or aluminum anodes are just not effective as they do not produce the voltage necessary to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post

I use these now. They are also about twice the size of the ones you're using and I find that one of these does the job of 2 of the little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    Thanks for that. I will heed your advice but there wouldn't be any iron or copper but there could be lead though. (I was starting to curse the fact that I must have turfed out 20kg or so but now I can relax )
    This is the spec

Cadmium . . . . 0.025% - 0.07%
    Copper . . . . . . .0.005% Max.
    Iron . . . . . . . . . 0.005% Max.
    Lead . . . . . . . . .0.006% Max.
    Aluminium . . . . 0.1% - 0.5%
    Zinc . . . . . . Remainder (special high grade 99.995%)

I understand that 0.005% iron is only tolerated by the addition of cadmium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast