Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jarle Andhoy and the Berserk voyages

'It doesn't matter if the fellow has circumnavigated Jupiter singlehanded in a coal scuttle, he's a gobby dropkick (sic), shows disrespect to the authorities, and we don't want riff-raff like that in the the Yacht Club.'
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Trust you are enjoying the hospitality of the Royal Nobs and Snobs in darkest Lowestoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    Was in Pto Williams in late 2011 or maybe 2012 when he turned up along with a maori 'activist' with no paperwork.

The Armada and other authorities were less than impressed... nor was I.... a noisy little dropkick..... he is the sort of r****g f*****g lunatic that gives r****g f*****g lunatics a bad name.

To compare him with 'Scott, Shackleton, Churchill, Chichester, Ellen McArthur, Knox-Johnston' is to do those people a great dis-service.
    +1

He's a less amusing version of the kind of Tabloid fodder Captain Calamities who sail around the British Isles, just on a bigger canvas.

The fatalities caused by his South Pole ATV expedition/ego fest lost their lives because of his poor planning, - Beserk should never have been where it was at that point in the Antarctic season: - something he was warned about by proper explorers well in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewfromFal View Post
    +1

He's a less amusing version of the kind of Tabloid fodder Captain Calamities who sail around the British Isles, just on a bigger canvas.

The fatalities caused by his South Pole ATV expedition/ego fest lost their lives because of his poor planning, - Beserk should never have been where it was at that point in the Antarctic season: - something he was warned about by proper explorers well in advance.
    +2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Trust you are enjoying the hospitality of the Royal Nobs and Snobs in darkest Lowestoft.
    I press my nose against the window, shivering in the howling gale like a Dickensian urchin, and gaze in wonder at the varnished plaques, cosy hearth and immaculate tables with silver service laid out, but the ancient dining room seems eerily empty.
    Among the yacht crews who are taking refuge from the crashing breakers, word has spread on the pontoon telegraph..Gregg's the Bakers over the bridge are offering two-for-one on hot sausage rolls..
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 15-11-19 at 13:53.
    John Hawkins

+1

I didn't know about that, better wind my neck in on this subject.
    John Hawkins

+1The fatalities caused by his South Pole ATV expedition/ego fest lost their lives because of his poor planning, - Beserk should never have been where it was at that point in the Antarctic season: - something he was warned about by proper explorers well in advance.
    I read the original Berserk book and was in touch with Jarle before setting off on an intended Atlantic circuit in our Vega. However, I have not kept up with his later exploits, and having just read this article, agree with teh above statement.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/...fications-6330

- W

+1

Actually, no one knows why they lost their lives. It appears they decided to leave their anchorage and move, in a bad storm. No one knows who decided that, or why. Perhaps someone got injured or sick? Or did they drag their anchor or snap a mooring line?

It's all supposition, and while Andhoy was the expedition leader, he can't necessarily be held responsible for individual actions taken by others.

And what is a proper explorer? Membership of the RGS?

As to being there, maybe not, but then maybe the revd Bob shouldn't have tried overwintering a fibreglass boat in the artic? He judged he could, and has a lot of experience there. Andhoy has a lot of experience too, stuff like this you make your own judgements, not blindly follow what others say.

Andhoy may be a dickhead, I have no idea, and don't really care; most people are in truth. But he would appear to be a tough, resourceful, skilled dickhead and would be an inspiration to many modern day youngsters; and as far from Peirs Morgan as it's possible to be.

Frank has met him, he's entitled to his opinion. I don't know Frank, so I won't, with due respect, accept his opinion as fact. What strikes me about Andhoy is that he gets crew who return again and again for his trips, and they must know him better than anyone. I suspect that says more about him than anything else.

I'm impressed by his exploits, liking him or not makes no difference to what he has done and the life he has lived.

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Frank has met him, he's entitled to his opinion.
    Didn't meet him as such... was aboard Micalvi....my boat was tied up on the inside at the time ... when they were aboard her making lots of noise and really pissing off the Armada and everyone else within earshot.... they were behaving like dickheads.
    From wiki.... 'After sustaining minor damage the vessel headed to Chile to seek help with repairs, and fuel. In Puerto Williams, Isla Navarino, Chile, the Nilaya was then detained by the Chilean Navy because she gave a false name when contacted by radio.[24] Chilean authorities were also aware that a "stowaway" New Zealand citizen lacked a passport, and it was unclear if he was there of his own free will.[25] The crew presented the vessel as being both Russian[26] and Norwegian[27] flagged, and she was flying a pirate flag when she was detained.[28][29] Andhøy returned to Norway in May 2012.

The Armada posted a 'guard ship' next to Nilaya to make sure they didn't just try to bolt... which they seemed inclined to do....

The man is a fool... IMHO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast