Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Logged cruising miles vs. Engine hours - what is average?

I have very approximate records of sorts over the past few years of miles and engine hours. If I assumed an average speed of 4.6kts then per annum:

900 miles = 196 hrs total, 84 hours engine. 43% engine
    1160 miles = 252hrs total, 113 hours engine. 45% on engine
    834m = 181hrs total, 67hrs engine. 37% on engine (Perhaps longer trips and less day sails this year)
    525m = 114 hrs, 66hrs engine. 58% on engine.
    257m = 56 hrs total, 30hrs engine (a very short season this particular year). 53% on engine.

Coastal cruising mostly day sailing and inshore racing around the Ditch (Solent) plus an occasional trip to France. Includes engine time for battery charging, winter maintenance deliveries and local refueling etc. For example today I might visit the yacht and might run the engine for a while to charge the batteries.

I was surprised by these stat's so began to wonder if they are somewhat skewed because of my approximate recording of trips or the average speed idea is flawed. So read into these figures with a large pinch of salt. When racing we are on a mission to get to the start line often with engine, then after the finish sometimes drop the sails and blast home directly. Also the yacht is based a long way up Chichester harbour. But it feels like I do much more sailing than motoring. Anyway, it is clearly not 20% (or less) of time on engine over a full year, and not 70%.

If looking at a boat, engine hours can be estimated as 10% of logged miles as a rule of thumb. Lines up pretty well with experience provided the log has been working!

[QUOTE=Channel Sailor;6972487]
    .....Includes engine time for battery charging, winter maintenance deliveries and local refueling etc. For example today I might visit the yacht and might run the engine for a while to charge the batteries.

I was surprised by these stat's so began to wonder if they are somewhat skewed because of my approximate recording of trips or the average speed idea is flawed. So read into these figures with a large pinch of salt..... /QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I think your average speed under engine may well be a lot less than 5kts, taking into consideration biffing around marinas, warming up and charging batteries.

I guestimate mine at about 2kts, as I only use engine when mooring up or doing a sulky 4 kts if I have to be somewhere. I am also normally quite happy moving at 3kts, or less, under sail.
    So I would guess 70 - 80% sailing miles 30 - 20% engine miles.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I am of the same school as Doug748. I turn into a Captain Bligh figure and object to using the engine.

I started with engineless boats and progressed via a Stuart Turner to an MD2. I finally have a modern Yanmar 4JH5E but old habits die hard...

My weakness, which I suspect is a common one, is putting the engine on to get past a tidal gate.
    Last edited by Kukri; 15-11-19 at 11:51.

Averages over 9 seasons with this boat: 1700 nautical miles and 180 engine hours per season.
    Seems to bear out Finbars 10% rule of thumb.
    I reckon a daysail involves about an hour engine time leaving and entering harbour, which leads me to an estimated 1000 miles sailed and 700 miles motored per season. In my book that is reasonable: if you want to cover some distance during a limited period of cruising, you will inevitably have to accept using the engine more than when youíre out for an easy dayís sailing.
    This year has been the first time Iíve had a broad reach both on the outward and return legs of the cruise.

Over the last 8 years messing about in the Med my engine hours are also approx 10% of distance travelled.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    If looking at a boat, engine hours can be estimated as 10% of logged miles as a rule of thumb. Lines up pretty well with experience provided the log has been working!
    I really am an outlier then with 70 percent of hours under engine and probably at least 10 percent more of miles. Some seasons very different but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I really am an outlier then with 70 percent of hours under engine and probably at least 10 percent more of miles. Some seasons very different but not many.
    We are pretty shameless too, but may not have reached your depth of depravity. Our trouble, after I retired, was that we had a couple of major sea crossings each year but no longer had the stamina to stick it out at three knots, so six knots was our open-sea requirement. Sailing at night often meant light or no wind, but it helped to get us on our way. This all contributed to our roughly 50% figure, about the same for hours and distance.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post

My weakness, which I suspect is a common one, is putting the engine on to get past a tidal gate.
    Fascinating thread and I’m surprised at the consistency.
    This quote perplexed me though.
    I don’t understand why you think using all the tools available to you to make an efficient passage is a weakness.
    I’d call it good navigation skills.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Very similar to us. We use the engine a lot more in the Mediterranean than we did around UK and down to the Gironde.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast