Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Logged cruising miles vs. Engine hours - what is average?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    That's a ratio of 8.6NM : 1 engine hours. Assume an average of 5kts on passage that infers 58% of the time spent motor-sailing, but no-one knows how much of your total engine hours were for getting into and out of harbours/rivers, charging, etc - so assuming a very rough 20% of the hours for this lot, gives 46% of your time motor-sailing.
    Yes, the basic stats are quite misleading. On every trip out I motor an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half getting from mooring to Poole chain ferry and the same getting back. Also, on my last trip to Portugal, going I motored all the way across Biscay, then most of the way down to Lisbon and all of the way from Lisbon back to Spain, but a good sail back from there
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I usually manage a ratio of around 1:4 hours on average. Even under the most favourable conditions, I find I need to run the engine every six hours to keep my service battery charged. It's a little better now I use my iPad for Navigation instead of a laptop but instruments and lights are a drain when night sailing.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Even under the most favourable conditions, I find I need to run the engine every six hours to keep my service battery charged. It's a little better now I use my iPad for Navigation instead of a laptop but instruments and lights are a drain when night sailing.
    Can you not find somewhere to hang some solar (maybe off guard wires?)
    Overnight problem suggests you need to up your service battery capacity, assuming that you have gone LED with your lights.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234