Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

That was kinda my point... You won't fail... So zoidberg seems to be in his own third division?

Back to idiots guide mode for a second, because this is turning into a language I don't quite understand:

I, as an owner of a second hand boat that came with a VHS - and as someone who wants to sail with that VHS - needs to do 3 things I think:

1. Register my boat to get a new MMSI number - or find out what the already allocated number is (How would I go about this?)
    2. Register myself with ofsted
    3. Take the course with an RYA approved testing centre and pass the exam at the end of it

Edit: I'm leaving my VHS - VHF typo. I deserve all the ribbing that comes my way for it

And ofsted, unless your going back to school.

Re your mmsi number, if the radio is DSC it will be listed on its menu, still some power onto it and have a look

You can do a search of boat names, cannot remember where and it shows mmsi and call sign, both that stay with the boat, just the owner changes similar to your car vin number

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    So. If I (as trained) made a mayday relay in the exam using a DSC urgency message... would i fail?

Coz none of the other stuff ventures close to grounds to fail.

Just as there will be people who making PAN MEDICO calls for another 30 years, there will be DSC urgency used for mayday relay and no-one will die...
    Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    This is in the pdf Scala provided the link for:-

"Assessors may have exam candidates who haveundergone the course either online or in the classroom prior to the changes coming into force. Toaccommodate this, SRC Assessors are requested to be flexible and use their judgement during both writtenand practical exams. Students who have been taught the previous Distress Relay protocol and whodemonstrate during their exam the use of an Urgency Announcement should not be penalised but should begiven guidance on the correct protocol during their debrief. The same applies to other areas such as usingthe term ‘alert’ instead of ‘announcement’ and the inclusion of other items not previously taught in thecourse."
    Yes, that's what you'd hope for.

The point being made was, I think, that there'd been no changes to emergency procedures, and that there had been no change notice issued, both of which are incorrect.
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWill View Post
    Back to idiots guide mode for a second, because this is turning into a language I don't quite understand:

I, as an owner of a second hand boat that came with a VHS - and as someone who wants to sail with that VHS - needs to do 3 things I think:

1. Register my boat to get a new MMSI number - or find out what the already allocated number is (How would I go about this?)
    3. Take the course with an RYA approved testing centre and pass the exam at the end of it

Edit: I'm leaving my VHS - VHF typo. I deserve all the ribbing that comes my way for it
    LOL - I'm sure it was proven that Betamax was better...

Yes, register your boat online to get a ship's licence. You will (If you select the correct options) be allocated an MMSI identity. You'll have plenty to print and make sure you keep your username and password safe.

Go on a GMDSS VHS/F course. LSC does them at a discount every year or so. Get your licence once tested/passed.

Buy radio (fixed or handheld, with red button) and install as necessary. Programme your MMSI into the radio. Get it right first time as it can't be reprogrammed without returning it to the manufacturer.

Go sailing. Enjoy calling and chatting with your friends on the correct channels and I hope you never need to use the red button.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWill View Post

It's Ofcom. Not Ofsted

Boat radio may well already be recorded with Ofcom. You can tell if it's a DSC radio with an MMSI because it will have a "distress" button under a flap. As above, get its MMSI off the menu.
    Check it on teh ITU Mars database here:
    https://www.itu.int/mmsapp/ShipStation/list

You can then apply for a VHF licence for the boat. That's called the Ships Radio licence. There's also a portable-only licence if you don't have a fixed VHF.
    https://ofcom.force.com/licensingcomlogin

The operator's course is recommended but the exam is mandatory. Assuming you pass, that's your operators licence, called a "VHF Short `Range Certificate" or SRC.

EDIT: Too slow... what Langstone said. ^^
    Graham. "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post

Go sailing. Enjoy calling and chatting with your friends....................
    Surely the only procedure he'll need is "Solent Coast Guard, this is SV Anderson 22; radio check please; over"

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Surely the only procedure he'll need is "Solent Coast Guard, this is SV Anderson 22; radio check please; over"
    You haven't considered Doppler shift have you?

I've just found this thread, have been in contact with SleepyWill quite a bit.

The rusty steel deck eyes are peculiar to your boat, part of a custom mast raising system - I've helped raise that mast and it's quite a bit heavier than standard - not a worry just be aware.

The kevlar for the keel winch is a no-no - the wire is very easy to replace as I mention in the 12 page top tips.

I will be at the club soon with the best electrician in the world looking at my boat, will contact you to maybe get a look at your boat at the same time - but I agree all you really need is a well working depthsounder and torches.

As mentioned in top tips the A22 doesn't like weight aft, I use a 65 A/H gel battery under the forepeak - a battery condition meter is very useful, I have a NASA BM-1 display and an old but useful Smiths guage from a car.

The compass cannot be really checked until afloat and able to ' swing ' calibrate it - best to use Mk1 Eyeball and charts - I'd rate good waterproof 8 X 40 binoculars with a built in compass more important than a chart plotter if budget is tight - also some sort of powerful ' searchlight ' if only from Halfords, sod's law means one does get delayed into night time especially when beginning on cruisers - but only use it if you have to as it destroys night vision - and it's never really dark at the moorings due to the bridge road lights.

Don't even think of anchoring at East Head, unless you fancy a cross between the first scenes of ' Saving Private Ryan ' and ' It's a Knockout ' I'll send recommendations,

I suggest you don't launch her too soon, it's much easier to get work done in the club - and you can plug in a 240 v fan heater !

Also most insurers don't like boats on swinging moorings over winter - and whichever one you get needs to have the topchain checked.

I don't fancy inflatable kayaks as tenders, too unstable.

I know you plan to stay in the harbour, but whenever you try the Solent do you know about the - poorly marked - submerged barrier blocks between Eastleigh / Southsea and Horse Sand fort, with a narrow marked gap at the Dolphin halfway out and a less useful one close to the Southsea beach.

The forehatch can be replaced with an ' as is ' direct replacement ' Houdini copy from Ocean Marine at Thornham Marina as mentioned - check bolt spacings and aperture size, or improved upon with say a Lewmar Ocean but that will require a little work.

Andy
    Last edited by Seajet; 20-11-19 at 03:25.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast