Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 115
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Me -Storrington / boat Chichester
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    I presume the laptop is rendering or crunching data, so why take it with you? You could drastically reduce your hassle, power consumption and risk by keeping at home and using team viewer or similar to monitor it on a tablet. Consider using notifications to your phone to alert you to any issues. You aren't for now going to be sailing anywhere outside of mobile coverage...

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Quote Originally Posted by northwind View Post
    I presume the laptop is rendering or crunching data, so why take it with you? You could drastically reduce your hassle, power consumption and risk by keeping at home and using team viewer or similar to monitor it on a tablet. Consider using notifications to your phone to alert you to any issues. You aren't for now going to be sailing anywhere outside of mobile coverage...
    That is a very interesting idea! I'll have to investigate teamviewer, but at a cursory glance, this could definitely work!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Weelie bin. No better way of getting to understand your outboard than taking it home, servicing it and learning its foibles.

    So that's a ladder and a weelie bin and a motor that works. Add some basic safety gear, radio and an echo sounder and you have most of what you need for Chichester Harbour. The rest can come later.

    Just a thought. If the family are new to sailing make it as easy for them as possible to start with. Children can get bored on boats quite quickly. Getting too and from boats and putting them to bed is even more boring for them. I know it sounds bonkers but just consider keeping the boat in a marina for the first year. The costs will likely be more than the value of your boat but offset any of the following if applicable, parking, club fees, dinghy storage, mooring, winter storage. Add that lot together and it comes to quite a sum to make a proper comparison.

    The benefits are obvious. You can step onto it. The whole family can step onto to it without fear. In an Andersen you can leave Chichester Marina at virtually any time and the lower the tide the less the traffic. If you live nearby you can nip down to the boat and fiddle with something for an hour or just quickly take the boat out. Minimum hassle, maximum boat use.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,603

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    [QUOTE=SleepyWill]
    Then we come back to the electronics. You say the larger capacity plan is bonkers - but your only criticism of it is the price. I understand it's an expensive option, but this is my way of thinking, let me know if I'm still being bonkers:
    <Snip>
    Able to draw full power (400w) and I must be able to check it's progress once a while and click a restart button if it gets itself into a mess. (Also it can't be used for anything else, it can't be used as a chart plotter).
    <Snip>
    [Quote]
    OK.
    So the real question is do you need to draw that power all the time or just when arrived at anchor.

    So is it 400w X 24hrs X days at sea?

    Secondly does it actually draw 400w? All the time? Or just at odd peaks? You'd ideally know it's average consumption doing your rendering on the power supply (12v).

    Would you be at anchor? Or ever in a marina?

    That is a massive power draw. 33amps at 12v.

    That feels unrealistic to power from 12v battery (or 24v) for any length of time if that's the real power draw...

    But also from a charging perspective... If you are using it one weekend and back the next you have 5days max to recharge from solar. If you look around you get probably about 1/3rd capacity of a panel, for probably 8hrs max in UK summer. So if you need that much power you will never be able to recharge it unless you are connecting up a massive bank of panels.

    I'd actually be considering:

    1. Would it be better to have the computing done somewhere else with access to monitor that from the boat via 4G (depending on your sailing area).

    2. Generator power

    Not saying LiPo isn't the answer, but especially if you are adding 24v it seems to be adding a whole extra bank oh headaches

    3. Can your laptop do the processing on its battery? If so - what are the options to bring some spare batteries and charge on mains at home before coming.


    It may sound like I've made up my mind, but genuinely I haven't, mostly as a result of all your excellent help, and so I'll be leaving the battery until dead last to do, once every other job is done. When I know how much I have to spend, then I can plan accordingly.
    Suspect you will want some form of 12v before then though!

    Would you help me understand why an inflatable kayak which fits into a backpack is more difficult to carry than the child vomit bag currently entirely filling the back seats of my car, surely that is far more difficult to carry? Imagine I get it out, clean it up and it's brilliant. I would still be tempted by something that much smaller and lighter - but I must be missing something!
    Ah no.. a kayak will be easier for you to transport! I means a dinghy is easier to transport "stuff" in.

    You are going to arrive on a windy Friday night. With child (not sure on age). You will be bringing - food, clothes, drinking water, possibly boat bits, tools etc. A laptop. A switch. You will then need to paddle all of that out to the mooring without it getting wet. Unload it onto the boat.

    Then on Sunday evening having spent two days at sea repeat the process to go ashore.

    It may be possible to paddle out. Then bring boat alongside a pontoon to load /unload.

    It's certainly possible to use dry bags. But you start needing several / multiple journeys. Even getting them off the kayak into the boat doesn't become simple. With a dinghy they stay on the dinghy while you get off. Then you reach back to get them.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Me -Storrington / boat Chichester
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWill View Post
    That is a very interesting idea! I'll have to investigate teamviewer, but at a cursory glance, this could definitely work!
    You also need to consider how you are going to recharge your battery bank. I had a 26 footer on a mooring in Church Rithe; outboard powered, we had a 85ah battery, with solar and shorepower. As said before you need to get an idea of how much power was needed vs the means you have to replenish the power. When cruising for a week, we would go into a marina for a couple of nights to recharge batteries and devices, but never felt we didn't have enough power. Consider using things like USB batteries for devices. I run my own business so need to be able to work in an emergency. and there were 2 adults and 3 children on board.

    With regard to sailing with Children.. as keen as you may be, the rest of your crew may get bored quickly... Many of our trips when they were younger was from our mooring near to Northney to East Head for lunch and playing on the beach, trips the children fondly remember. The advantage being the return trip is quite often a nice beam reach back up the Emsworth channel, and a pleasant day out.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Me -Storrington / boat Chichester
    Posts
    745

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    I know you are looking at Langstone SC, I had a mooring in Church Rithe, which is opposite the entrance to Northney, we launched the dinghy from Northney, and being a lifing keeler, we could access the boat at pretty much any state of tide (touched the bottom about 1hr either side of low water springs). Northney charge around £220 per year to use their slipway, loos and car park, which is pretty good value and low hassle.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    It's certainly possible to use dry bags. But you start needing several / multiple journeys. Even getting them off the kayak into the boat doesn't become simple. With a dinghy they stay on the dinghy while you get off. Then you reach back to get them.
    Aha, I see what you're saying! I had not considered that at all! Thanks!

    The wattage draw is fairly consistent, but it wouldn't be for 24 hours. 4 to 6 hours at the most. My calculations come out at 2600 being plenty for a weekend. That being said, the teamview idea is viable, I've spoken to a colleague who does exactly this, I'm going on a bike ride with him next weekend and test it out, so it might be a null point - and I'm also testing the switch on a battery bank, seems to be charging well enough, so it's looking very strongly that I can drop my silly idea of a big battery in a small boat!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat88 View Post
    So that's a ladder and a weelie bin and a motor that works. Add some basic safety gear, radio and an echo sounder and you have most of what you need for Chichester Harbour. The rest can come later.

    Just a thought. If the family are new to sailing make it as easy for them as possible to start with. Children can get bored on boats quite quickly. Getting too and from boats and putting them to bed is even more boring for them. I know it sounds bonkers but just consider keeping the boat in a marina for the first year. The costs will likely be more than the value of your boat but offset any of the following if applicable, parking, club fees, dinghy storage, mooring, winter storage. Add that lot together and it comes to quite a sum to make a proper comparison.

    The benefits are obvious. You can step onto it. The whole family can step onto to it without fear. In an Andersen you can leave Chichester Marina at virtually any time and the lower the tide the less the traffic. If you live nearby you can nip down to the boat and fiddle with something for an hour or just quickly take the boat out. Minimum hassle, maximum boat use.
    Already have a ladder!

    The marina prices aren't out of reach, and I certainly would appreciate the benefits - though for me, I'll be joining the club anyway (If only because joining and paying new membership this year will be cheaper than paying the storage fees I'll owe them if I didn't join!! - but in all honesty, I grew up belonging to a sailing club and the members have been fantasticly helpful, so I feel that no matter where, I'll be joining regardless.)

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Humber
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Just to add that don’t forget you can very easily test your electrics with any old small car battery connected, you would not be looking at drawing that much power and at least know if stuff actually works. If the electrics are really bad connect each directly via fused flying lead

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Me; Nth County Dublin, Boat;Malahide
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: New (to me) sailboat, new to the hobby, help me spend my savings!

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWill View Post
    Already have a ladder!

    The marina prices aren't out of reach, and I certainly would appreciate the benefits - though for me, I'll be joining the club anyway (If only because joining and paying new membership this year will be cheaper than paying the storage fees I'll owe them if I didn't join!! - but in all honesty, I grew up belonging to a sailing club and the members have been fantasticly helpful, so I feel that no matter where, I'll be joining regardless.)
    The stability of an inflatable tender vs a kayak would be safer (how do I know this&#128559.
    Re Competent Crew vs Day Skipper; most sailing schools will teach CC and DS simultaneously on the same boat, but why not have your wife do the Theory Course and DS also?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to