Default Powder bound mat and polyester resin

I have accumulated quite a lot of grp supplies left over after consistently over ordering for various projects. Quite a lot of the mat is powder bound, originally purchased specifically for use with epoxy resin. Am I right that I can also use this with polyester resin, I ask because polyester resin as well as being much cheaper, goes off much better in the variable temperatures of a Scottish winter which tend to go on until well into May. I would still opt for epoxy for anything structural or under water. One idea is a box to contain my third battery, the one I made last winter is wood and functions okay but I would rather use the stuff in my garage loft than throw it out when the big 'death clean, starts in early spring.

Default Re: Powder bound mat and polyester resin

The question has been answered but a side note on the wording of the above document. There's obviously good reason to use more expensive and harder to find powder bound csm with epoxy but "essential" as stated therein, may be overstating it:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...sed-with-EPOXY

Thanks, Coopec, for providing a clear answer from a reliable source.

Laika, The implication is that resin bound mat will not 'settle' as well in epoxy resin because the binder will not dissolve and be released so I suppose you could use resin bound mat with epoxy if you are not too fussy about the integrity of the make up, since the price of mat is low while epoxy resin is expensive it would seem to be a false economy.
    Many years ago before I ever heard of epoxy we used to race old motorbikes around fields, with the exception of the odd Greeves they were usually just road bikes with lowered gearing and knobbly tyres, I used to make skinny tanks moulded in grp over a folded alloy base, they did not last long so I got plenty of practice. A friend sent me in to the back end of his frog eye sprite to close up some of the rust holes, (they did not have a boot), my hair got stuck in the lay up and I lost consciousness while struggling to get free but my mate had the wit to drag me out by the legs through the cockpit, reverse mohawk for a while.
    Last edited by Quandary; 15-11-19 at 09:24.