Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check your PFD!

Default Re: Check your PFD!

My PLB is attached to the oral inflation tube, as the zipped pocket on the front of the LJ is not easily accessible when the LJ is inflated. I did consider attaching it to the belt but ruled that out for various reasons at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
    “The OP admits..... wouldn’t be suitable”. As manufactured by a Marine manufacturer and the user is at fault?...?..

Are you serious???
    Yes 110%, I've used metal zips at sea with suitable care and not had a problem. If he was aware of potential issues and still chose to purchase and then use it for a safety critical need then it's is totally on him. No one presumably forced him to buy it.

The manufacture didn't I assume offer any warranty on the zip, nor suggests that pocket be used for safety equipment storage? Does the PFD have a label stating this is a PLB pocket? I very much doubt it.

Take responsibility for your life and stop trying to blame others - really not that difficult!

PW.
    Last edited by PilotWolf; 17-11-19 at 05:10.

I think we will have to disagree. By logical extension your argument suggests that people shouldn’t expect manufacturers to be responsible for producing safe products.

When you bought your lawn mower did you turn it upside down and check the blade was sufficiently attached?

I think we will have to disagree. By logical extension your argument suggests that people shouldn’t expect manufacturers to be responsible for producing safe products.

When you bought your lawn mower did you turn it upside down and check the blade was sufficiently attached?
    No but I turned it upside down to take the protective wrapping off so i was able to see it was Ok at the same time
    Would have been well out of balance if I had not done so- pretty obvious really.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

The product is not unsafe, the way he chooses to use it maybe. Likewise although I don't have a lawnmower I would certainly check it before use, In the same way as I check the oil water on my vehicles on a regular basis.

W

Quote Originally Posted by zulloboy View Post
    My PFD (which is out of warranty) was recently superseded by a new model which has - guess what! - a plastic (ie non-corroding) slider.
    I assume you have contacted the manufacturer before contacting trading standards and given them the opportunity of replacing it? There is an awful lot of effort gone into complaining here on the forum .. you might find a simple email and photograph would have yielded a favourable response and a new PFD?
    Last edited by rszemeti; 17-11-19 at 23:37.

This will be my last response to this thread, with a few points to respond to various things written.

1. The vendor was advised in detail before I contacted the authority. They did not offer a replacement (nor did I ask, having told them it was out of warranty), but offered cut price on a new one. I suppose I could have blackmailed them, but that's not me.
    2. As per my post, the vendor’s user manual prominently labelled the pocket “Personal Epirb”
    3. Two of the vendor’s senior product rep's responded positively to my questions in person at a prior sailing promo event re PLB storage in the pocket.
    4. The vendor now advises against such use of pocket
    5. The vendor has changed from a metallic to non-metallic zip on the pocket
    6. The metal zip is not ALARP – plastic zippers are better but velcro is probably about as ALARP as you can get for this function, unless there is some other closure I am unaware of. The vendor did not choose the lowest-risk component. I do understand ALARP, having designed and audited many safety shutdown systems for major onshore and offshore hydrocarbon facilities. How long I may have kept the PLB in the pocket, and whether I am as incompetent as implied by some, is totally irrelevant to the ALARP considerations and the vendor's responsibilities.
    7. I tested access to the pocket when I tested the PFD by jumping into the water with it on before replacing the old auto cartridge (as I do with all my PFD’s). I found that adding a short lanyard to the pocket made it easily accessible with the PFD deployed. I specifically chose a PFD with accessible PLB storage and discussed this in detail with the vendor's rep, after experimenting with retrieving my PLB from a jacket pocket (almost impossible) while in the water.
    8. As per my earlier post, the zipper was operable about 4 weeks before the failure, during which time it was used in a few dry day-sails and stored in a well ventilated cabin.

Thanks to those who have responded positively.

Cheers, Graeme

I have only just read through the first 10 comments but that was sufficient to cause me some concern. I haven't any intention of reading through all the comments but I'm wondering if someone else has posted this link already?

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/...ded-Zip?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by zulloboy View Post
    This will be my last response to this thread, with a few points to respond to various things written.

1. The vendor was advised in detail before I contacted the authority. They did not offer a replacement (nor did I ask, having told them it was out of warranty), but offered cut price on a new one.
    Oh, out of warranty ... so how old is this? I was assuming from your post it was quite new (less than a year) ...

Also, you mention that a few weeks prior to this, you tested it by jumping into the sea. What did you do to service it before putting it back in to use?
    Last edited by rszemeti; 18-11-19 at 12:22.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Oh, out of warranty ... so how old is this? I was assuming from your post it was quite new (less than a year) ...
    My thoughts too and from the link by coopec, the LJ is "...well out of warranty."

Funny how he named it on the other thread but not this one.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast