Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Check your PFD!

Default Re: Check your PFD!

Despite the wrangling over who’s responsible for what, I think thread is useful. Clearly PLBs are being stowed behind zippers which this thread shows is not a good idea. I wear a life jacket for work with a PLB and day night, each secured behind Velcro which is very effective. The only time we had PLB behind zips is when you could activate it without removing it from the pocket

Quote Originally Posted by zulloboy View Post
    So please check if your PFD has an alloy zipper and if so, assume worst case and don't use the pocket for any safety-related items. My PFD (which is out of warranty) was recently superseded by a new model which has - guess what! - a plastic (ie non-corroding) slider.
    Got two of those. Crewsaver Ergofit 190 OS. Unsuitable materials were used for zips (not even remotely seawater resistant). Also for the inspection window on the Hammar device (not UV stable material). Neither is essential for the function of the lifejacket though. Not sure what the tiny pocket is for anyways - the boat key perhaps?

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Just a thought. The OP states that he kept his PLB in the zipped pocket where the slider failed. He discovered this after “some months” where the jacket was kept in a warm dry environment. I rather thought that a PLB was meant to be tested on a monthly basis, so the OP should have exercised the zip at least once a month to ensure the PLB was properly tested. Or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan99210 View Post
    Just a thought. The OP states that he kept his PLB in the zipped pocket where the slider failed. He discovered this after “some months” where the jacket was kept in a warm dry environment. I rather thought that a PLB was meant to be tested on a monthly basis, so the OP should have exercised the zip at least once a month to ensure the PLB was properly tested. Or am I missing something here?
    From memory, PLB's have only a certain number of tests allowed. I check mine every couple of years.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    From memory, PLB's have only a certain number of tests allowed. I check mine every couple of years.
    You’re correct. Battery life is set by a test each month which depletes the battery by a set amount: hence my thoughts that a PLB is meant to be tested monthly. For example the ACR manual states that there is enough “excess” battery life for 60 basic tests and 12 GPS tests over the 5 year battery life: kind of implies a monthly testing regime.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345