Default Removing carbonautica wheel

I need to take one of my wheels home to repair some rope marks. After removing the outer hub that locks the helm I can see the wheel itself is held on with a brass nut. Should it pop off once I remove this nut or will I have to do anything else to remove it?

Cheers

Default Re: Removing carbonautica wheel

It's probably on a taper and key or splines so once you remove the nut it should come off. A good tip, in case you need to give it a bit of a tap to release the taper, is to loosen the nut but leave it in place and then try to pull off the wheel. Once it's loose you can unscrew the nut completely.

Richard

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I would use a gear puller like this to put a steady load into the steering wheel hub.

Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

You shouldn't need anything as drastic as a puller, unless corrosion has set in badly!

Undo the nut a few turns, wobble the wheel using the rim at 12-6 and 3-9 positions and it should work off the taper/keyway. Once loose undo the nut fully and take off wheel. Make sure the key on the shaft is not loose, and doesn't fall out of the slot. Wrap some tape around it if it's loose so you don't lose it whilst you're repairing the wheel.

Thanks everyone! I'll make sure the guardwires are across the transom too....else I may be going overboard as it pops off!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll make sure the guardwires are across the transom too....else I may be going overboard as it pops off!
    That's why you should undo the nut only a few turns before you wobble the wheel. :-)
    Slow movements, No shouting, Smile; then even this maneuver looks like intended