Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Alternatives to Clipper?

OK so watched Maiden. Have decided that even at my time of life (53) I could find the time to take a year out to achieve my lifelong ambition and sail around the world.

Clipper would charge me £50K, which is about £225/per sailing day (or £4.1K per month for board and lodgings on a race boat), excluding any money I choose to spend ashore. I don't think the cost is prohibitive and when put against the cost of any other type of "year out sailing" seems competitive. Additionally, viewed against the depreciation for a craft capable of getting round in a year and again Clipper come out competitive.

I am not race-mad but I do like the competitive side of the event. That said, I would consider alternative, non-racing events. So, before I madly rush into signing up (which may or may not happen), are there any alternatives that you could recommend?

Oh and I should add, I am aware of the safety issues that have arisen. I really don't want to get into that. In my view, ocean racing is inherently dangerous and tbh I am surprised that the fatality rate has been so low considering how many people are involved. While I expect the organisation to do everything it can to minimize risk, I do accept the risks involved.

Default Re: Alternatives to Clipper?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    OK so watched Maiden. Have decided that even at my time of life (53) I could find the time to take a year out to achieve my lifelong ambition and sail around the world.

Clipper would charge me £50K, which is about £225/per sailing day (or £4.1K per month for board and lodgings on a race boat), excluding any money I choose to spend ashore. I don't think the cost is prohibitive and when put against the cost of any other type of "year out sailing" seems competitive. Additionally, viewed against the depreciation for a craft capable of getting round in a year and again Clipper come out competitive.

I am not race-mad but I do like the competitive side of the event. That said, I would consider alternative, non-racing events. So, before I madly rush into signing up (which may or may not happen), are there any alternatives that you could recommend?

Oh and I should add, I am aware of the safety issues that have arisen. I really don't want to get into that. In my view, ocean racing is inherently dangerous and tbh I am surprised that the fatality rate has been so low considering how many people are involved. While I expect the organisation to do everything it can to minimize risk, I do accept the risks involved.
    If it were me, taking a "once in a lifetime trip to go round the world" I'd personally want to take longer - 3 years and do it on my boat. Assuming you purchase a boat then sell it at the end of the trip to recoup ~75% of the boat costs, your £50k would be quite a nice sum of money to live on for a couple of years!

That said I will be watching the sailing frenchman this coming year as he films the clipper from the perspective of first mate. My mind may be changed!

For anyone with sailing experience...is clipper really going to scratch that itch? It's a turnkey solution. It's racing (sort of) on big boats you might not otherwise get experience of. It includes the experience of sailing in conditions where a prudent cruiser would not normally place themselves. You get to experience the whole group-dynamics-under-stress thing which may be intensely interesting or offputting depending on your inclination. But someone else is in charge, someone else is navigating, someone else dictates the timetable and you don't get to change the plan. I absolutely see why people might do it and I have thought about it but crewing on a round-the-word yacht satisfies neither my desire to navigate a yacht round the world, nor to meet some of the people who live on those little dots on the "oceania" page of the atlas.

I wonder if there are sufficient semi-competent amateurs with mid-life crises reckless enough to fork out for an old open 40 each to race slowly round with no interest whatsoever outside this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    For anyone with sailing experience...is clipper really going to scratch that itch? It's a turnkey solution. It's racing (sort of) on big boats you might not otherwise get experience of. It includes the experience of sailing in conditions where a prudent cruiser would not normally place themselves. You get to experience the whole group-dynamics-under-stress thing which may be intensely interesting or offputting depending on your inclination. But someone else is in charge, someone else is navigating, someone else dictates the timetable and you don't get to change the plan. I absolutely see why people might do it and I have thought about it but crewing on a round-the-word yacht satisfies neither my desire to navigate a yacht round the world, nor to meet some of the people who live on those little dots on the "oceania" page of the atlas.

I wonder if there are sufficient semi-competent amateurs with mid-life crises reckless enough to fork out for an old open 40 each to race slowly round with no interest whatsoever outside this forum?
    Or an ARC Round the World? (or is that already a thing)

Edit : It would appear that it is https://www.worldcruising.com/world_arc/event.aspx

Another option for about the same price

http://www.queenmarycruises.net/quee...-world-cruise/
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Or an ARC Round the World? (or is that already a thing)
    It's a fine answer to the OP's question but as you quoted my post I feel obliged to say that this ticks few of my boxes. I got "World Cruising Routes" as a birthday present a few years back but that's about as much as Jimmy's likely to get out of me :-)
    Last edited by laika; 15-11-19 at 15:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Another option for about the same price

http://www.queenmarycruises.net/quee...-world-cruise/

There are one or two square riggers which come close, with very long trips including the great capes. Cheaper than the Clipper, not yachts as such, but new challenges for someone who can already do yachting. The Classic Sailing travel agency is a very good start, run by actual sailors, but they don't cover all the available berths.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Just the ticket... https://oceangloberace.com/

The food on the Queen Mary will be a lot better..

or stay home, have someone chuck water over you while eating pot noodles..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast