Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My bathroom project

Hello, i hope i don't incur any stern glances for posting here, but i had nowhere else to go. DIY forums are packed out with gobby people who don't know how to respond seriously or constructively, it tends to take the wind out of your sails sometimes.

I'm fitting an offset quadrant shower cubicle in my bathroom, but i'm choosing to use timber paneling for the back and side walls of the shower interior. The environmental stresses placed on the timber walls will be similar in nature to those imposed on the hull of a timber boat. Todays bathroom paneling is ghastly to say the least, and expensive. I want to create something bespoke that has the feel of having been envisioned by a craftsperson, not a style consultant.

The simplest way to go about this is to use tongue and groove pine floorboards. So, how can i seal pine against the daily effects of a warm shower? Please note, i'm very patient and don't mind having to take weeks over sealing it properly. The base will be a regular tray, only the sides will be timber.

Many thanks, Luke.

Default Re: My bathroom project

Hi & welcome Luke, if I was doing something similar my first inclination would be towards using CT1 (a very effective adhesive/sealant in my experience) to stick the T&G panels together (and possibly also to whatever they're sitting against) with a bead of the same around the main edges/corners. Then several coats of a suitable and good quality epoxy to seal the wood. Hope that helps...

CT1 seems to have good reviews, i like the look of it. What would you do about the ooze that escapes from the joints when you push them together? If you try to wipe it off it'll spread all over the panels, is there some solvent i can use?

When you say "suitable and good quality epoxy", what do you mean? Yacht varnish? There is a brand i've found online called International who have a wide range of marine varnishes. Is their standard 'Original' product any good?

Cheers guys.

Excess can be wiped off with a damp cloth before it goes off but they also do a product called multisolve which would be the stuff to use should there be any need to remove any after...

Long-term, your most satisfactory solution would be to use proper waterproof panels. They are well-established and work well. Or you could use large-format ceramic tiles, again well-established and work well. Your DIY approach might look OK for a year, but will deteriorate rapidly. Unless you like the challenge of repeating projects on a regular basis, why not just use the proper stuff? And, of course, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele

Timber paneling would be the last thing I would use but if you must, "V" groove would look better than floorboards but, remember timber shrinks and expands across the width so, if glued, would most likely crack. Planks, would have to be sealed/varnished before assembly.

Start with a low viscosity Epoxy that will soak into the grain

https://www.mbfg.co.uk/eposeal-300-epoxy-primer.html

I agree with pvb. Timber is a natural material and will shrink over time and move with changes of humidity (of which there are a lot in a bathroom). When we did our shower room we used painted t and g on the main walls but proprietary wallboards in the shower area itself. The materials were chosen by Mrs Moron after seeing the same in a hotel we stayed in. The wallboards have none of the discolouration associated with ceramic tiles. So far it's continuing to look good.

I'm in the same boat (as it were). My mate just talked me out of varnishing up the pine floorboards as they cup and move over time. You can get very nice wood effect tiles these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast