Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shredded spinnaker

Since the sail makers I've sent images to haven't bothered to respond I'm guessing this spinnaker is beyond repair. I didn't much care the material and design anyway. I'm guessing it was also past it's use-by date now.

Worth holding on to, repurposing for something, or just bin it? There are a couple of nice 2m long tears, not on seams either.

253fc72d-7b0f-4868-ad07-424f5a4e48b7.jpg5cc1dbd5-173d-4f2a-b115-2cff4cc794f6.jpg

Default Re: Shredded spinnaker

Don’t know your location, but I took a pretty shredded spinnaker into Suffolk Sails in Woodbridge some years ago and although they queried the sense of repair, when I said I needed it for the following weekend they did a pretty good job.

Some adhesive repair tape and a sewing machine maybe?

Dependswhat you want from it.
    You could buy some cheap 'kite' fabric on ebay and patch it.
    A spare kite for training, for about the price of 3 drinks and a couple of hours on the sewing machine.

Main thing is to find out what started the tear and tape it or whatever?

Or you might get a few quid for it on ebay, if we didn't have a suitable cruising/training kite I'd be happy to buy a ripped one and have a go at fixing it, if it was very cheap.
    It's nice to have a gash spinnaker that won't cause any upset if it gets destroyed training or cruising.

But if it was really tired and mis-shapen before it ripped, maybe it really has had it.
    Dead spinnakers don't have many uses, shade in a conservatory maybe? dust cover?
    Crafts teacher might be grateful for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife;6973545
    [ATTACH=CONFIG

Still looks a bit crispy to me so maybe not that old. My local sailmaker put a new panel in for £50, off season, so you might get lucky.

Depends on the size as well, if it's a £2000 pound sail then the fix is nothing. If you sail a Hurley 18 then you might want to get something else or have a go yourself.

I kept a 20+ year old kite going for 3 years after it left only the tapes flying when it was hit by an AWB broaching gust. Sticky spinnaker tape and a zig-zag sewing machine are your friends but eventually it will reach the point where a "Do not resuscitate" label is the kindest way.
    The crisp-packet crackling sound of a new kite is almost worth the money in itself and definitely psyches out the opposition. Pity it doesn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    I kept a 20+ year old kite going for 3 years after it left only the tapes flying when it was hit by an AWB broaching gust. Sticky spinnaker tape and a zig-zag sewing machine are your friends but eventually it will reach the point where a "Do not resuscitate" label is the kindest way.
    The crisp-packet crackling sound of a new kite is almost worth the money in itself and definitely psyches out the opposition. Pity it doesn't last long.
    Psyching them out by overtaking them with a kite made of tape and patches is fun too!

A lot depends on the cost and availability of something better.

Spinnakers do lose their toughness with age and UV. So it is likely that the fabric is too old to repair. However if you are so inclined you can repair it on an ordinary sewing machine using polyester thread. You can add adhesive repair cloth then sew.
    or you can fold over the repair area to sew a seam or dart. If you do the latter you may need to fold or hem the line of the tear from one edge to the other ie top bottom or side to side to avert a tightness at the repair. Fold over the edge tape as well. ol'will

Cut it down to make a small triangular sun screen for the foredeck or a large windsccoop for for hatch if all else failes or try making a small sail for downwind sailing a paddle board Or inflatable etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    Cut it down to make a small triangular sun screen for the foredeck or a large windsccoop for for hatch if all else failes or try making a small sail for downwind sailing a paddle board Or inflatable etc?
    Wind scoop might be a winner.

I don't sew myself. It would need two new panels about 2m in length each to repair. I don't think you can repair such massive tears mid panel as then the stress is in the wrong place. These two tears are easily big enough to fit a fully grown man through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast