Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: Does anyone still (a) use, and or (b) carry aboard, any or all of these?

I once used a leadline in anger while in the day job.... 50 years and several months ago in the Gulf of Carpentaria. Both echosounder and radar had packed up on our way north through the GBR. We were taking the first cargo of mining equipment into Gove for Nabalco.
    Sunset.... no sign of land... stopped ship... cast the lead.... depth suggested were were about three hours from an unlit coast.... dropped anchor. Proceeded on passage just before daylight the next day.
    I learnt rather a lot on that ship.

Don't carry one on my boat. If required I would simply use the mainsheet or similar with a dive weight or shaft anode tied to the end. How deep is it? Well, between wingtips on most humans its as close as makes no difference to a fathom... just measure as you haul it in...

Default Re: Does anyone still (a) use, and or (b) carry aboard, any or all of these?

You forgot the Peloris!

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    You forgot the Peloris!
    I think they have been replaced with Tridents now. Both impractical for smaller yachts, but might help fishing boats remember the rules of the road.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    Sorry, I can't be bothered to read all posts to see if anyone has added "bolt cutters". I thought they were fairly standard. Even found them provided on a charter yacht. And used them, though only to threaten cutting the lines of an Italian motor boat that was trying to winch itself in next to us in Fiskardo, Kefalonia, where there was no space. My acting of lost patience, designed to convince the Italian, drew a ripple of applause from the assembled spectators on that busy quay...

Mike.
    This was a thread about non-electronic aids to navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Iím slightly confused by your comment as way back at replies #6 and #7 etc people (including me subsequently) were admitting to having a lead line on board.
    Having a bilge keel, I actually use my lead line, mainly when I anchor up an estuary and expect to dry out.
    I drop it off the beams to make sure I get no nasty surprises when the water disappears.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Still looking for tinned butter...
    Latitude... for the determination of?

Wouldn't that be a bit like trying to use a digital watch to find north?

PS Margerine won't work... different melting point...... you will end up becalmed in the middle of the Azores High

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    This was a thread about non-electronic aids to navigation.
    Not explicitly. I guess these are "non-electronic aids to navigation" in the most general sense:

11. The Ship Captainís Medical Guide
    12. International Code of Signals
    13. Signal flags

Mike.

Tinned butter: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272550436871

Or from Amazon: FRANCELIA Canned Butter, Lightly Salted (250g) Shelf life:2020 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D5DCJ..._5ai1DbWK5FVVH
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 19-11-19 at 23:53.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Tinned butter: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272550436871

Or from Amazon: FRANCELIA Canned Butter, Lightly Salted (250g) Shelf life:2020 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D5DCJ..._5ai1DbWK5FVVH
    Amazon is great for finding odd things I canít get anywhere else,

If I was to check my mum and dads house Iím sure I find some tinned butter along with some corned beef and sardines, thee price tag in pre decimal currency

I checked the link and amazon suggested some other delights.
    Powdered eggs
    Dried eggs
    Compact emergency rations.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 20-11-19 at 02:23.

Golden Churn https://www.shopnz.com/new-zealand-b...an-240005?nc=1 was still available at Auckland Airport last time I looked.
    Hellish expensive though... over double the price of 'ordinary' butter.

Once upon a time I carried some 'Golden Churn' but found there was no need... ordinary butter lasts as long as is required, in the fridge in the tropics, or turn of the bilge when in cooler climes..

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast