Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shaft size - metric or imperial

Age is not really a true indication, just need to measure accurately.

I cleaned the shaft today in readiness for next weekend's task to remove them. It was easier tho clean them with the props still on as this gave me something to rotate them with.

A lovely brand new 10 tonne hydraulic gear puller made short work of getting the props off BTW.

With a clean shaft and close up careful nip of the vernier I would definitely say 1.500" rather than 1.496". Looking at cutless bearings 1.5" is a common size whereas 38mm is less so. I won't order these until the old ones are removed. Looks like the upper cutless is also a full length (my Turbo 36 had half length uppers).

I did manage to free of 7 of the 8 cutless securing grub screws.

As the shafts are coming out for the new PSS seals it seems prudent to replace the cutless bearings which are quite for anyway, at the same time.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    My boat was built in 1990, so this would suggest my shafts are metric 38mm, but the engines are American Cummins, imperial, with Hurth gearboxes. The simple measurement with a vernier is spot on 1.5".

The R&D coupling has bolts with a fine thread and a somewhat odd 16mm AF nuts (or 5/8" AF).

I am replacing the Cutless bearings and fitting PSS seals to replace the original stuffing boxes.

So do I use 38mm (1.496") or 1.500" bearings and seals. Or do I get the micrometer out and measure the shaft properly ?
    Wouldn't be influenced by the R&D bolts. If the shaft measure 38mm ish or 1.5" it's more likely to be imperial, 38mm shafts would be very unusual. A digital vernier should give you 38.1mm, if you have an "analogue" vernier i'd break the mic out.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Trev

Either measure with a mic or pop a shaft in the boot of the car and run it round to Paul at Hamble Props, he'll tell you.

He'll have cutlass bearings in stock too, or Aquafax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12