Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Volvo penta oil query

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Acidification is a particular problem for engines that spend a long time idle. It causes problems in the aeronautical world where planes stand for extended periods of non use, resultign in internal corrosion. I'd rather not have that particular problem in my engine. I find your argument that oil has not improved in the last 30 years amusing, but unconvincing. If Volvo claim their later oil specifications are backwards compatible, better specified and recommend their use, thats good enough for me, but feel free to continue using the old stuff if you want to, no skin off my nose.
    Where did I say that oil has not improved in 30 years? Having spent many years employed in the research establishment of an oil major I know only too well that it has. Oils have developed to accommodate massive engine performance increases throughout car, truck, industrial and agricultural equipment. The same cannot be said for yacht auxiliary engines, which have barely changed at all.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Vyv has been commenting on oil choice in here for many years, he has the background and he knows his stuff, there are very few of us who do not respect him and follow his advice.
    If the argument that modern sophisticated synthetic oils were better performers in every type of engine was true, why would big oil companies go to the bother of offering anything else, they could reduce production and distribution costs charge a higher price and make more profit. They continue to make oil for older diesel engines because that is what they need. Leisure marine use of this type of engine is very small compared to agriculture, construction etc, your VP D series may be recently made but Perkins, who Volvo buy them from, have been making that type of low revving industrial diesel for 50 years.

Volvo VDS-4.5 oil meets the latest API CK-4 spec. Itís worth taking a look at the announcement on the API website. Hereís a key paragraph:-

API CK-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used.

How many marine engines have exhaust aftertreatment systems fitted?

Mineral oil to API CI-4 is recommended for my Yanmar engine and I see no reason to use anything else.

Iím a great believer in the progression of technology but just because itís newer doesnít always mean better. Read the spec small print, not the marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Vyv has been commenting on oil choice in here for many years, he has the background and he knows his stuff, there are very few of us who do not respect him and follow his advice.
    If the argument that modern sophisticated synthetic oils were better performers in every type of engine was true, why would big oil companies go to the bother of offering anything else, they could reduce production and distribution costs charge a higher price and make more profit. They continue to make oil for older diesel engines because that is what they need. Leisure marine use of this type of engine is very small compared to agriculture, construction etc, your VP D series may be recently made but Perkins, who Volvo buy them from, have been making that type of low revving industrial diesel for 50 years.
    I think the reality is that there continues to be a market for cheaper oils, because there are lots of engines out there which consume oil, get their oil dirty and benefit more from frequent changes and top-ups than from higher quality oil. A lot of industrial motors are sold into a world where buyers want to use cheap oil across a whole range of engines, so it's not good marketing to suggest using expensive oil.
    A lot of buyers will not want to be paying £40 a gallon for engine oil to run a generator or lawn tractor.
    We pay a lot of cash for our engines as marine units, but they are based on cheap motors. I wonder what the factory gate price for a base engine is if you're buying several hundred?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I think the reality is that there continues to be a market for cheaper oils, because there are lots of engines out there which consume oil, get their oil dirty and benefit more from frequent changes and top-ups than from higher quality oil. A lot of industrial motors are sold into a world where buyers want to use cheap oil across a whole range of engines, so it's not good marketing to suggest using expensive oil.
    A lot of buyers will not want to be paying £40 a gallon for engine oil to run a generator or lawn tractor.
    We pay a lot of cash for our engines as marine units, but they are based on cheap motors. I wonder what the factory gate price for a base engine is if you're buying several hundred?
    I agree.

If any of my engines, boat, car, bike, lawnmower, generator, outboard etc, were consuming oil or undergoing annual oil changes, I might well use a cheaper mineral oil because I'm then burning/throwing away less money.

As it is, all my engines have been run on synthetic oil since new so none of them consume any oil whatsoever and never need topping up, so I might as well continue to use expensive oil as I don't need to top it up and don't need to change it as often.

Others may well choose to do something different and that, of course, is absolutely fine.

Richard

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Mineral oil to API CI-4 is recommended for my Yanmar engine and I see no reason to use anything else.
    API CI-4 seems to me to be just about ideal for many yacht engines. A good modern additive package and a satisfyingly low TBN. I shall be using it in my Yanmar 3GM30F now that API CD seems to be finally defunct anywhere I can buy it.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I don't know about cheap ... the Nanni stuff is based on Kubota for example, which is in general excellent and well respected in the plant equipment world. There are others doing similar, but all seem to choose a decent quality base engine. We do however pay a premium, but we are a relatively small market segment, and someone has to do the conversion work.

If I had to re-engine, I would certainly be looking for a unit based on a readily available standard engine, as the parts prices for my Volvo Penta (which is Penta specific design) are ridiculous.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345