Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default Round Britain... Where would you choose to start

OK. So I've been pondering a slow plod round.

I might have found a boat.

It's currently on inland water so would need trucked out.

Where would you choose to truck it to, to start...

Default Re: Round Britain... Where would you choose to start

My home port, so I can work on the boat and do sea trials to ensure that the boat, skipper and crew are up to the trip.

I think the whole 'Round Britain' bucket list phenomenon is grossly over rated.
    I'd consider having it trucked wherever enabled a nice cruise which didn't involve 360deg of the UK.
    Maybe see more of W Scotalnd and Ireland?

I assume that after the trip you'll want to be based somewhere: I'd start - and finish - there.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    OK. So I've been pondering a slow plod round.

I might have found a boat.

It's currently on inland water so would need trucked out.

Where would you choose to truck it to, to start...
    Girvan in Scotland, on the Clyde. Because it is relatively cheap, certainly moreso than the Solent, and when sanity finally strikes and you realise that a round Britain trip is far more overrated than you originally thought, then you still have access to all the sailing grounds of the Clyde, Solway, and even NI and the nearer Inner Hebrides to enjoy yourself in. Sailing paradise. It also has fairly decent transport links, while still managing to be a little off the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeffles View Post
    , and when sanity finally strikes and you realise that a round Britain trip is far more overrated than you originally thought,.
    Have you actually done it?
    I ask because I find it somewhat addictive. I have done it single handed (albeit via the Cally canal, but I did go Jersey & Guernsey, both times, to make up for the top bit) twice now. After each trip I really wanted to keep going & go round again.
    Somehow I think that I may end up doing it again inspite of being 73 years of age.
    It is great fun & well worth the effort. The only thing I miss, is being away from home & friends for so long. But no way would I want a crew (other than family of course) to come along & spoil the pleasure.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I think the whole 'Round Britain' bucket list phenomenon is grossly over rated.
    I think it is a bit marmite...
    My plan is to do it in bits. Abandoning the boat somehow along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Have you actually done it?
    I ask because I find it somewhat addictive. I have done it single handed
    Lots of people say similar. Some say glad they did it once but wouldn't do it again. I'm not 100% sure I've seen someone say they referred it.

Perhaps it's not marmite..perhaps it's Haggis.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeffles View Post
    Girvan in Scotland, on the Clyde. Because it is relatively cheap, certainly moreso than the Solent, and when sanity finally strikes and you realise that a round Britain trip is far more overrated than you originally thought, then you still have access to all the sailing grounds of the Clyde, Solway, and even NI and the nearer Inner Hebrides to enjoy yourself in. Sailing paradise. It also has fairly decent transport links, while still managing to be a little off the beaten path.
    Well, that's an interesting suggestion. Ignoring the dismissive bit. It means west coast would be last which might be good because it's leaving best to end. While not technically the most complex to sail, it may also be more challenging so may be better having ironed out the boat.

Girvan isn't a completely inconvenient location like Falmouth might be for me.
    I'd consider having it trucked wherever enabled a nice cruise which didn't involve 360deg of the UK.
    Maybe see more of W Scotalnd and Ireland?
    Girvan might tick that box then

Quote Originally Posted by chriss999 View Post
    My home port, so I can work on the boat and do sea trials to ensure that the boat, skipper and crew are up to the trip.
    Well there is likely no crew. It could be sea trialed before movement. There is no ideal home port - I could sail straight to the North Sea. Or I could travel a cross country to have a port on the west but horizontally none are great... Clyde, NWales, Forth all reasonable but none 'home'.

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    I assume that after the trip you'll want to be based somewhere: I'd start - and finish - there.
    Sometimes the forum says sensible things!!

It's a very good point. I dunno what I may or may not want to do with the boat afterwards! But round Ireland not impossible. More West Coast not impossible. So Girvan not a bad idea!

Someone tell be why not Girvan now... Or the forum is officially broken!

I'd be very interested to hear why those who think it's over-rated didn't enjoy their trip round?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I’m thinking of doing it. But I want to do it fast.

I want to do Orwell - Inverness - Caledonian Canal - holiday on the west coast of Scotland, home.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I’m thinking of doing it. But I want to do it fast.

I want to do Orwell - Inverness - Caledonian Canal - holiday on the west coast of Scotland, home.
    I’ve done Orwell round via Orkney, Land’s End and the Forelands. Why miss out Orkney and the North West Coast? Do that and come back via the Caley or vice versa.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast