Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: Round Britain... Where would you choose to start

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Same question. And the train fares! Which is why I was planning a nonstop there and back. I might well do it again slowly, later, when I have retired and would not have to leave the boat.
    I have similar questions.
    Particularly since I am not intending it as a single voyage. More a series of stages. or sections,. Marina costs, yes daily ,rates Two days between flush toilets and hot showers is the max I am allowed. I would put that down to routine cost of living. You can spend a lot or a little as you choose.

More storage in safe place while I or we take a break. Appears to be prohibitive. Marinas give deals for annual seasonal or monthly moorage less than a month has a tendency to be daily rate.

Perhaps the is a company which can provide moorage at multiple marinas which I could move between.

Bermuda since 2017. Formerly Emsworth and Bedford.

"I think it is a bit marmite...
    My plan is to do it in bits. Abandoning the boat somehow along the way."

There is a guy called Dylan Winter doing just that. You would get a lot of ideas, information and inspiration from watching his videos. Being a professional photographer - also some stunning video footage. https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/
    sorry chief, but I 'ad this bang on the 'ead see!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie_B View Post
    "I think it is a bit marmite...
    My plan is to do it in bits. Abandoning the boat somehow along the way."

There is a guy called Dylan Winter doing just that. You would get a lot of ideas, information and inspiration from watching his videos. Being a professional photographer - also some stunning video footage. https://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/
    I’ve seen, enjoyed, and been inspired.
    I have a little bit greater desire for comfort, and will probably not try a get into every nook and cranny up every creek.
    I think in the end the logistics were to much to do everything. he has sailed, round most of the UK.
    He certainly has shown there are many interesting places to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    If you've got bits you're not fussed about and one of them starts or finishes near a suitable home port could you truck it to somewhere the other side of the naff bit so you don't have to do that bit (if that makes any sense to any at all)?
    No sense at all I start drawing my pension in February 2020 and will have time, love sailing, prefer visiting the coast of my home country and visiting the distilleries so intend not to stop going up the east coast of Englandshire this time. The trip by sea from Plymouth to Edinburgh is approximately 600 nm; shall we say five days sailing time. A lift out, road trip and lift back in would take about four days.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I suspect grumpy_o_g may have been posing that question to me about trucking, since the boat needs trucked. It's an interesting question...

If we accept: anticlockwise direction and East Coast England as least interested then you truck to ? Berwick / Forth and then sail round from there to ?? London / Dover. Snag would be that puts the boat in not a hugely exciting place at the end. If you were thinking to go to Europe it's good. But everyone says West is best... So I'm much more likely to then want it almost as far away from there as possible... Even if I finished the circum nav at that point I'm still the wrong side of the A9!

Where do you live? Pick a convenient location near by or as near by as practical.
    I suppose the cost of lifting on and of a truck is proportional the highest cost of moving the boat from an inland lake to the sea. You could pick any point on the sea within reason.

Unless you plan to just jump aboard and go, being able to get to and from the boat easily has to be a big plus.
    Getting my boat organized a full days travel from home was a bit inconvenient.

I'm based in north east England.. that gives me Whitby, Hartlepool, Royal Quays, Blyth as home port options. But none are hugely appetising.

Potential new boat in Lakes... So actually not an awful location. Could be bought. Kept there. Sea(well freshwater) trials/commission ed. Tweaked.. equipped etc. THEN move it...

The boat I want is not exactly common. Less than 50 ever built. First to have appeared for sale north of Essex... So up till now it was gonna need a big delivery trip to bring "home" or trucking. So I had always assumed I'd be commissioning in Falmouth or somewhere else equally a pain to get to. So Lakes is a doddle and I'm liking the idea to then move to the Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    I have similar questions.
    Particularly since I am not intending it as a single voyage. More a series of stages. or sections,. Marina costs, yes daily ,rates Two days between flush toilets and hot showers is the max I am allowed. I would put that down to routine cost of living. You can spend a lot or a little as you choose.

More storage in safe place while I or we take a break. Appears to be prohibitive. Marinas give deals for annual seasonal or monthly moorage less than a month has a tendency to be daily rate.

Perhaps the is a company which can provide moorage at multiple marinas which I could move between.
    At least One of the big marina companies(? Premier I think) does a free nights deal where they will let you stay in a different marina... not checked the details... Expensive though!!

I'm expecting to perhaps sail a week, stopping wherever makes sense - marina, harbour, anchorage. Put into a new harbour /marina at the end of a week and be parking up for month or more to return and move it on for a couple of weeks etc. Expect 4 weeks sailing and maybe 3 or 4 weekends per year...

Solent to Solent seems the most logical. At least start with the best and look forward to returning. Where else can you find so many other interesting folks and boats. There is a reason it’s the worldwide home of leisure sailing!

But where should one finish?

This young solo female sailor had an interesting answer, she got to Penzance then became fed up with the weather, turned left (but not as Dylan Winters would know it) and ended up in the Med.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...r-alone-at-sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUacgBSzkaI

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast