Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Laptop/Ipad chartplotter. Advice.

Up until very recently been using a very ancient old Windows laptop with Visit my Harbour CD, as a back up nav system. Charts now well out of date.(2012)
    Decided to up date with the very latest Navionics App( much lauded) on 10" IPAD with GPS.
    Two week free trial...... not impressed. Quite frankly much preferred my old system.

With the old VMH system as the boat moves across the chart the screen is constantly refreshed
    On the Navionics the boat simply vanishes of the display and you manually have to go and find it.

Is that how it functions or do I need to do something to make this app of any use.? Do not want a pile of fancy tidal junk or local user input, just some charts.

Can you purchase a VMY chartplotter app for my shiny new look at me IPAD..

Cheers for any comments.
    from "Confused Technophobe" from Medway
    Last edited by oldgit; 17-11-19 at 18:28.

Default Re: Laptop/Ipad chartplotter. Advice.

To make the boat stay put and the screen to scroll then have to tap the little Location arrow in the bottom left corner. This also enables Course Up or North Up mode. It works just fine once you work out how to use it!
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    To make the boat stay put and the screen to scroll then have to tap the little Location arrow in the bottom left corner. This also enables Course Up or North Up mode. It works just fine once you work out how to use it!

Aha.... finger trouble ...will give it a try.

Do persist, it is very good. Press the “Start” button central bottom of the screen when you set off, and then “Save” once at your destination so that you can then review your track as and when you like.

I would recommend moving away from raster chart CDs.
    Hydrographic offices of developed countries (AUS, US, Denmark etc) have officially announced end of support for paper/raster charts. I bet UKHO will soon do the same.

Not sure if your iPad is a more modern one (ipad Air 2 or better) but if you have an older one that only runs iOS 9.something you should probably avoid Navionics' latest app.
    they say they support it, but it really doesn't work for AIS display, and light characteristics on buoys are not available.

I have reverted to their older app, which I like a lot.

I would say, though, that it is more cumbersome than VMH charts if you want to quickly find detailed information about nav marks. With VMH (and presumably other raster chart viewers) you just zoom in. With Navionics you need to pop open all sorts of windows.

Totally agree with persisting with Navionics, IMO remarkable value for money for the £30 or so yearly sub given how expensive chartplotters and their associated map cartridges are and how convenient it is to be able to plan your routes wherever you like. Get used to zooming in to see more detail as & when necessary. For using it at night go into accessibility settings & there's one called (I think) reverse colours (or words to that effect), a tip from one of the sailing channels on Youtube...

Have used the little arrow thingy at bottom left, a couple of touches and it does track ...................until you want to zoom in or out, it then instantly reverts back to is former "not much use at all" non tracking mode, so you then have to once again push the arrow twice to get it to track again..until you zoom in or out.....
    The VMH functioned the same as a chartplotter, Navionics app appears to have been devised by somebody who probably designs video arcade games for a living.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

On my chart plotter, when I zoom in away from where the boat is (for example looking ahead on the route) I then have to tell the machine to “find ship” before the boat icon returns to centre screen. No different really to your having to tell the Navionics app to “put position cursor at centre screen” after moving away from it. Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Have used the little arrow thingy at bottom left, a couple of touches and it does track ...................until you want to zoom in or out, it then instantly reverts back to is former "not much use at all" non tracking mode, so you then have to once again push the arrow twice to get it to track again..until you zoom in or out.....
    The VMH functioned the same as a chartplotter, Navionics app appears to have been devised by somebody who probably designs video arcade games for a living.
    Well it’s the job for me for a few thousand miles and half a dozen countries I wasn’t familiar with. It’s always seemed odd to me that those who want most chartplotter whistles and bells sail the same routes and harbours year after year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast