Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Laptop/Ipad chartplotter. Advice.

My chartplotter works the same as Navionics, when you move by touching the screen it goes to curser mode, you then just switch it back to boat position. Not that hard, there must be thousands of Navionics app users, real advantage over VMH charts must be the updates being live

If you only want to see the chart and your boat's position on the chart, then use Navionics is great. No need to look at the tides and all the other facilities Navionics provides. Make sure you become very familiar with how to operate it in its basic form; it takes time but it will be rewarding.
    Use the tablet or download Navionics on a smartphone and play with it at home.

The problem.
    The vast majority of my boating is creeping around the labyrinthine bits of the Thames esturary and the muddy drying creeks of the North Kent coast. Going into Faversham or Conyer a good example.The ability to zoom in and out very fast/frequently without several other faffing operations is very useful.
    The Seaclear system was very simple, one click you zoom in , another click you zoom out the boat remains exactly in the same place or your chart/display.
    No other actions required, very handy when you have a metre of water under you and the next turn is either 30 secs away or 30mins waiting for the tide to float you off the mud.

The Navionics appears fine for folks who rarely need to alter the chart magnification and zoom in/out, certainly pointlessly over complicated when compared to both the Raymarine and Simrad plotters on my boat.
    Last edited by oldgit; 19-11-19 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    The problem.
    The vast majority of my boating is creeping around the labyrinthine bits of the Thames esturary and the muddy drying creeks of the North Kent coast. Going into Faversham or Conyer a good example.The ability to zoom in and out very fast/frequently without several other faffing operations is very useful.
    The Seaclear system was very simple, one click you zoom in , another click you zoom out the boat remains exactly in the same place or your chart/display.
    No other actions required, very handy when you have a metre of water under you and the next turn is either 30 secs away or 30mins waiting for the tide to float you off the mud.

The Navionics appears fine for folks who rarely need to alter the chart magnification and zoom in/out, certainly pointlessly over complicated when compared to both the Raymarine and Simrad plotters on my boat.
    With respect, perhaps you have not sufficient familiarity with a touchscreen tablet running Navionics or MM. I find it simplicity itself to zoom in and out (though MM prefers the use of screen buttons to fingers) and once used to the manner of operation, do it almost incessantly while in close proximity to stuff to be avoided! I have no doubt that those who enjoy the ease of use of these programs do likewise. I hope that you will not be put off.

Your not alone with mud banks and creek following, were on the Humber with the challenges the mud and tides give us too. We have on some tides only a 30minute window to get out of our creek onto the river. Still suggest that itís a problem for you as itís new to you, if you persevere you will most likely find if works for you.

I find the pinching to zoom very intuitive as itís the way all my IT stuff works.

We have the issue that half of our local area is not charted, only starts after the Humber bridge but we find local user edits slowly add to the base map as more people get out on the river at the start of the season, only using Navionics gives us this

Have contacted VMH to see if they do anything for the Ipad, if not will just have to get to grips with Nav app.
    Thanks for all the input anyway, much appreciated. the forum is an unparrelled source of info.
    OG.

Is OpenCPN + Visitmyharbour charts + tablet an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    Is OpenCPN + Visitmyharbour charts + tablet an option?
    That's what I have as a backup plotter. Pros: raster charts, nicely presented, which I like for passage planning and for a good view of the detail we're used to on paper. Cons: unless anyone can help me out, I can't see how to get a scale in view.

Nothing practical available from VMH to install on my Ipad.
    Going to persevere with the Ipad/Navionics set up.
    For those interested, the tablet is a refurbed Ipad 4 with the latest update which will go in this device and the app from Navionics.Total cost around £150.00.
    The Ipad must have Cellular and Wi-fi.
    Only extra expense was to buy a 2A usb cigar lighter from ebay. Run of the mill 1A cigar lighters will not charge the unit , with chartplotter running the tablet battery will go flat very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    The Ipad must have Cellular and Wi-fi.
    Not strictly true. I've used navionics on my (wifi only) iPad with a garmin glo bluetooth gps. They're about £80 (although I'm sure other bluetooth GNSS units can be had for less) which was less than the difference between the wifi only and the cellular iPads new (plus I can use the garmin with other devices) but obviously the economics are rather different for refurb units and doubtless you've made a sensible choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast