Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default St Catherine's Point to Portland Bill

Ahoy!

I live on the Isle of Wight, often as I look west, I can see Durlston Head and St Albans head quite clearly, most of Poole Bay too of course from various points.

Yesterday, out and about in the car, as we drove past the car park up above St Catherine's Point, I spotted the faint grey outline of Portland!! its must be about 43 or 44 nautical miles from where we were, quite high up obviously.

First time I have seen Portland from the Island.

I was quite excited!

Default Re: St Catherine's Point to Portland Bill

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Ahoy!

I live on the Isle of Wight, often as I look west, I can see Durlston Head and St Albans head quite clearly, most of Poole Bay too of course from various points.

Yesterday, out and about in the car, as we drove past the car park up above St Catherine's Point, I spotted the faint grey outline of Portland!! its must be about 43 or 44 nautical miles from where we were, quite high up obviously.

First time I have seen Portland from the Island.

I was quite excited!
    Must have been to Specsavers!

Anomalous propagation, seemples
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Sailing cross channel from Cherbourg to Poole, many years ago, we reached a point where we could see France and England at the same time. At least we knew we were going in the right direction.....

home again, where democracy needs no guns

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyknight View Post
    Sailing cross channel from Cherbourg to Poole, many years ago, we reached a point where we could see France and England at the same time. At least we knew we were going in the right direction.....
    Did that also many timesin the dim and distant, plus scared witless at the (apparent ) plethora of oil rigs or windfarms that appeared to be getting ever closer (shore lights many many times farther away) Had similar scares heading south to Chenal du Four, (landing lights for Brest airport).
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Not bad! St Catherine's summit 239m, Portland Bill peak 136m, which suggests a 43 mile line of sight. Charted distance 44m. Squeeze a tad for Mean Sea Level, a tad more for atmospheric refraction and...

Working west, around the coast from Portland bill. You can see the Bill from Exmouth and so probably from Torquay, the question is, is Portland ever visible at Start Point - 49miles ? If so, on a good day, someone stood on the Bill could spy I of W and all the way to the Start.

You can see The Lizard from Rame Head outside Plymouth (44miles) and in the other direction Bolt Head outside Salcombe - so just a few small gaps.

I recently went up to the Tumuli above Kingley Vale in the Downs North of Bosham (a favourite spot) from which one can see East as far as Brighton, but that day I could see the Purbeck Hills which are at least 53 miles away. The Tumuli are at 140m, while the highest point of Purbeck is 160m. Its rarely clear enough, but not the first time I have seen Purbeck from up there.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

You can often see the Needles from Win Green Hill just outside Shaftesbury

I get an unhealthy amount of pleasure spotting the Isle Of Wight from Brighton.
    Google earth makes that 43 statute miles. However when I told a Bembridge caravan owner I could see him he was remarkably unimpressed ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast