Default Dead Whale Drifting - AIS report on Marine Traffic

I was idling in the armchair looking on MT to see if Channel Light Vessel was back on line and I noticed a report from 13+ hours ago of a 'Dead Whale Drifting' (i.e. 19:00 on Sunday just SW of CLV). The report is labelled (FR) but does not give detail of the reporting station.

Apart from the curiosity value, it does point out the advantage of having an AIS system that displays all relevant AIS messages (see my recent posts). I am assuming it is a synthetic AIS report?

Still no actual CLV reports on ndbc.noaa . Anyone know what is happening? It looks like Patricia repositioned CLV yesterday and went off to Swansea?
    Cheers
    Bob
    Trying not to extrapolate from zero

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Re: Dead Whale Drifting - AIS report on Marine Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by RIBW View Post
    I was idling in the armchair looking on MT to see if Channel Light Vessel was back on line and I noticed a report from 13+ hours ago of a 'Dead Whale Drifting' (i.e. 19:00 on Sunday just SW of CLV). The report is labelled (FR) but does not give detail of the reporting station.

Apart from the curiosity value, it does point out the advantage of having an AIS system that displays all relevant AIS messages (see my recent posts). I am assuming it is a synthetic AIS report?
    Indeed, the MMSI is 992276201
    99 -> beacon
    227 -> one of France MIDs
    6 -> figure for "virtual beacon"
    201 -> identification

Real beacons have instead the form 99MID1xxx, ie the digit 1 instead of 6
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/