Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whick Toolkit?

Default Re: Whick Toolkit?

This is rapidly becoming a "who has got the BIGGEST toolkit" thread. Looking at Vyv_cox's collection, mine is pretty similar, but I've got a full-sized torque wrench, so Yah Boo Sucks!

The most-used tools in my kit are (1) the Mole Wrench; (2) the battered old electric screwdriver that doubles as a scraper and goo applier; (3) the Leatherman; (4) the Halfords mini-socket set, with sockets from 5mm - 13mm plus a range of screwdriver bits.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 18-11-19 at 16:58.

Range of screwdrivers, snipe nosed pliers, medium pliers, hefty pliers, footprint (adjustable wrench which will grip-and destroy-fuel filters but at least get them off), socket set, set of spanners.

If cheap enough not to mourn they will rust so you will slowly replace anyway.

On my boat the Yanmar engine is such that to get the impeller out you need a pair of long handled right angle snipe nosed pliers. Oh, and a piece of ordinary pine or similar softwood to act as a fulcrum for the pliers. Several bits of wood of assorted shapes are always useful as rests or temporary benches to protect the expensive bits of boat.

WIRE COAT HANGERS: absolutely vital. They can perform a myriad of tasks from unblocking, to hoinking out the piece of kit lost in the bilge or under the engine etc etc. Never leave port without one.

Depends on the age and type of boat and also how handy you are also, but I would suggest you start with:-

A basic tool set from somewhere like Toolstation (screwdrivers, spanners, pliers, hammer, knife, etc. in a toolbox).

Then add a 3/8" socket set and a set of electrical wire cutters/strippers.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I am coming to realise that the toolkit that served me well on wooden boats is not so useful on an MAB. There is little need for my roll of caulking irons, scrapers, planes, chisels, deck seam rakers, etc., but I have been able to repurpose the grease gun back into a grease gun from a white lead paste gun.

Here's a left of field recommendation. In addition to regular tools keep a couple of surface protection sheets like this:
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Proplex-Bla...-2-4m/p/118670

Also two big beach towels for grotty work and a big sheet of non-slip surface matting. Finally, a thick piece of wood for drill backing.

They're collectively great for protecting surfaces and for stopping screws and stuff from irritatingly rolling around.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

This is my on boat tool kit

Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I bought a Draper combined Metric, Imperial socket, spanner set, with an assortment of screw driver and allen key heads. It has worked well over the years. To keep the cost down I have supplemented the tools from car boot sales and auctions; good bargains to be had in second hand tools at such places, sometimes at a quality that is better than low cost stuff.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Pretty much as in the illustration with the addition of some mains power tools - we have a big genset.

I keep a small box of 'ready to use' tools handy for the times a spanner, screwdriver or whatever are needed quickly.

The larger tools are kept, in plastic toolboxes, in underseat lockers, along with the spare parts. If put away dry they dont go rusty.

I also think that portable vice is a great tool. Mine clips to a step or sticks to a smooth surface, but is smaller.

The tool I would really miss is the 5 inch Vise Grip. I have several genuine American Vise Grips, different sizes and jaw shapes, all but one set from 1970/71 when I was a Proto tool agent.

They are undoubtedly the best self locking plier available.

How many tools survive heavy workshop use fixing old motorbikes for over 40 years?

One 5 inch pair has hammer marks on its jaws from before it was fixed to my slide hammer. I would clip it to a shaft or spindle in a blind hole, warm up the crankcase or timing chest and gently tap the wide portion of the Vise Grip. This would always pull the shaft or spindle out of its tight interference fit. Welding a nut to the adjusting screw of the tool allowed it to be fixed to the slide hammer which made it even more effective - and quick and simple.

The local Bunnings here in wellington has a pair of genuine Vise Grips, 5 and 8 inch for 40 Dollars NZ. About 20 quid.

I'll pick some up next time I'm in.

However large and comprehensive your on board toolkit, sods law says the tool you need is elswhere at the time you urgently need it.........................................

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of boat ownership!

To answer this we need to know what boat you have & how handy you are. We'd also like to see a picture of your boat, we like looking at pictures of boats...

I thought I was light on tools, but I suddenly realise I have almost as many tools as everyone else, and sadly I've had to use most.

You absolutely need tools to:-
    Change impellers.
    Change belts (try it, you may find it's a substantial set).
    Cut rigging.
    A filter wrench.
    Some sealant.
    Electrical crimp kit.

I think everything else I could have winged it a bit.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast