Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whick Toolkit?

Default Re: Whick Toolkit?

Having collected all these lovely tools you might also want a box of disposable gloves and some nappies to collect all that split oil once you start to service the engine. A useful tool as mentioned above is a knife ,pliers and spike/shackle key set to strap near the helm plus a small gas powered scolding iron to melt ropes or heat bolts etc . Stubby spanner’s can a;so be helpful in confined spaces. Sadly you always end up buying extras but you might find a small battery pack drill and angle grinder handy . On basis these might be occasional use Lidl or Aldi products offer cheaper options for tools if to be left on board but do try for decent socket if budget permits . I rather suspect the kit needed might vary between those who potter around Chi harbour and those venturing around remoter parts of Med etc. A good source of info is to find a local mechanic to help with first engine service (on basis you have one)and seek his thoughts on what your engine might need . Even if you cannot fit a part yourself it’s always good to carry the key parts for engine if venturing away from local shores plus bulbs and suchlike if poss. Ask someone local to draw up a list maybe after viewing boat and discussing your plans and go from there .

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I am in the process of steeling myself to buy a very expensive tool that I hope I shall never need - hydraulic bolt cutters.

At the more modest end of the scale, wire cutters, wire strippers and a crimping tool should be on the list. And a couple of extremely short screwdrivers.
    Last edited by Kukri; 18-11-19 at 23:12.

A large roll of paper towelling is a useful addition. I seem to get through one every year.
    I also carry a plastic tub of wipes, but I add a cup of Flash/water mix to keep them wet. Handy for cleaning ones hands & oily mess when finished jobs.
    If into repairing engines, then a small tub of Swafega might be useful as well.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 19-11-19 at 09:22.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

HI

Thanks for all the info.

Once purchase completed pictures to follow.

She will be leaving the warmth ?? of Chichester to the joys sailing in the Clyde.

Quote Originally Posted by Happilyoverforty View Post
    HI

Thanks for all the info.

Once purchase completed pictures to follow.

She will be leaving the warmth ?? of Chichester to the joys sailing in the Clyde.
    I guess that you might not be setting off for the Clyde till next Spring and if so, I would recommend the Western route rather than the Irish Sea. There are lots of fine places to visit on the West of Ireland so you can spend the Summer in a gentle progress Northward.

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    I thought I was light on tools, but I suddenly realise I have almost as many tools as everyone else, and sadly I've had to use most.

You absolutely need tools to:-
    Change impellers.
    Change belts (try it, you may find it's a substantial set).
    Cut rigging.
    A filter wrench.
    Some sealant.
    Electrical crimp kit.

I think everything else I could have winged it a bit.
    I think that is a good list!

I went the route of cheap toolkit moved to a tool roll, in a roll top waterproof bag. Only rust is from a pair of cheap pilers that got wet. The rest are nearly 10 years old and rust free. Having dropped and replaced a few tools cheap is a good way to go. I would go for decent sockets/spanners mind and eye up Bharco Or Halfords professional sets occasionally

I have added;
    - Smaller and larger sockets / spanners. Check your engine or rig for large bolts/nuts (eg alternator pulley retaining nut) Ie 6mm to 24mm
    - Pair of large adjustable spanners
    - Good multimeter, wire stripper, crimper and adhesive lined heat shrink crimps
    - Splice set comprising Selma fids, good scissors, needles (inc large/tough sailing ones), whipping twine and tape

The tools that get used the most are some screwdrivers, small adjustable spanner, multitool (has pliers) and the multimeter. These live in the chart table.

It helps that the boat is near an amazing old skhool hardware store that has the most amazing helpful staff and great selection called Hayling Hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post

You absolutely need tools to:-
    Change impellers.
    Change belts (try it, you may find it's a substantial set).
    Cut rigging.
    A filter wrench.
    Some sealant.
    Electrical crimp kit.
    Seeing that item makes me wonder how many forumites have actually lost their mast? I suppose it is a bit like the " why do I need a liferaft"? conundrum
    But I admit to carrying both croppers & liferaft
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I broke a mast (my own silly fault) on a sixteen foot open boat and the business of sorting out the bits and getting them on board was educational ...

The thought of losing a mast on a big boat horrifies me.

I am full of admiration for King Edward VII. I’ve seen a photo of Shamrock II or III on trials. The King was boating with his grocer, as his nephew put it, and the mast had just gone over the side in a mass of crumpled tubing, and doubtless a rain of blocks and wire, missing the helm by not very much. The King is standing next to the owner, calmly lighting a cigar...

Found a link, but not that exact picture. It was Shamrock II:

http://www.america-scoop.com/index.p...id=423&lang=en
    Last edited by Kukri; 20-11-19 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    I am in the process of steeling myself to buy a very expensive tool that I hope I shall never need - hydraulic bolt cutters...
    In a similar vein, I recently treated myself to a cordless angle grinder (blue Bosch one) and used it for the first time at the weekend for cutting 7mm rigging. Knife through butter in about 3 seconds!

Who doesn't love an angle grinder.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast