Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Whick Toolkit?

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Default Re: Whick Toolkit?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    However, I certainly do not take unnecessary extra gear when cruising
    and 'unnecessary' is the difference. I suffered a major toilet problem that required a good deal of work with tools when anchored off a remote island with an official population of two. My pop rivet gun has been used in a number of similar locations and I have lent it to other owners in desolate spots. My Zyliss vice has been used in anchorages all over the Aegean. I am not suggesting that my boat is a sailing hazard on its last legs but when aboard for six months of the year, constantly travelling, there is ample opportunity for things to go wrong.

All my pre- and post-season maintenance and renovation is done in a boatyard where there are no maintenance facilities for yacht owners. It is essential for me to be as self-sufficient as possible. I have fitted three toilets and two holding tanks during my ownership, all in locations hundreds or thousands of miles from home. (Doesn't say a lot for toilet design!) Lesser jobs have been new instruments, plotters, bimini, rudder fittings, lots of rewiring, panels, cleats and clutches, winches, windlass replacement, and so the list goes on.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    and 'unnecessary' is the difference. I suffered a major toilet problem .
    I sympathise. I do carry a decent medical kit of course

In a more serious note, most forumites sail in more populated areas & can complete those jobs with items carried from home, or sourced locally.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 26-11-19 at 18:16.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I carry quite a bit in the way of tools .... accumulated over 25 years of ownership...... much of it spent sailing in remote areas.

I don't mind borrowing a tool.... once

These days I don't seem to borrow any..... once I have seen the need for a particular item I will buy one at the next opportunity.

One nice little item I bought a few years ago was a hex bit socket ( just the one... not a set ) .... makes the task of removing and fitting my Volvo dripless stern gland ever so much easier...

How often do I use it? not very often.... same as 90% of my other tools

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...sr-64_1000.jpg

I sometimes get a little annoyed at how long it takes people to return tools.
    I don't mind lending, but with some I find I often have to qualify with the comment " This is a loan. Not a gift!".

Sometimes when you are up Ship Creek and your paddle is broken you have no option but to borrow.....

That said... my experience is that the skills required to sort the most complex issues are often readily available.

The tools and ... more often... the spare parts... not so much....

True, and the skills are frequently accompanied by the tools.

I stick with the "carry the essentials and leave the rest at home" idea, but Viv's boat is his home for months at a time. I'd carry a lot more if I were sailing for months at a time in remote locations - and I'd have a bigger boat to carry it all, but I potter round the Solent and live 20 minutes from the boat, so not having a tool isn't a disaster.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I sympathise. I do carry a decent medical kit of course
    Haha, but it would have struggled to fix a Jabsco Lite! After years of keeping it going, fortunately not spending much money but hours of sailing time, I reached a point where the macerator pump bearings had seized when we returned to the boat at the beginning of last season. Stripping the whole unit again freed them and we used the toilet for a month but the noise they made suggested they would not last long. I then found that Jabsco only supply a complete pump unit, not separate bearings. On a USA website I managed to identify the bearing type which I probably could have bought but replacing them would have needed better facilities than I have on board. So I bought a new Twistlock in Lakki for less than the replacement pump would have cost and consigned the Lite to the skip.

That being said, a medical kit comes in handy for lots of jobs on a boat. Not just "toilet" problems

That being said, a medical kit comes in handy for lots of jobs on a boat. Not just "toilet" problems
    Indeed it does. One of the bonuses of sailing in Greece is that we can buy our medications over the counter without a prescription. In UK we have only been able to obtain three months-worth of prescriptions to take with us, so this has been very useful. This morning we were advised that we can now only obtain two months-worth, a further blow. We can also buy many other medications at relatively low cost.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    This morning we were advised that we can now only obtain two months-worth, a further blow.
    I am going to start another thread & quote you if that is OK

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast