Default Strange mainsail foot shape on new to me boat.

The mainsail on my new to me Parker 31 has a foot that slopes downward aft. There are two crinkles at the clew, one level with (single) tack crinkle, and one lower where you would expect to find one at lowest, aft point of sail. If I attach outhaul to upper crinkle boom is 90 degrees to mast. If you attach to lower crinkle, boom hangs down not at 90 degrees to mast. What gives? Tack has only the usual one cringle.

Default Re: Strange mainsail foot shape on new to me boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    The mainsail on my new to me Parker 31 has a foot that slopes downward aft. There are two crinkles at the clew, one level with (single) tack crinkle, and one lower where you would expect to find one at lowest, aft point of sail. If I attach outhaul to upper crinkle boom is 90 degrees to mast. If you attach to lower crinkle, boom hangs down not at 90 degrees to mast. What gives? Tack has only the usual one cringle.
    It was a way of giving extra sail area, same on the Super Seal 26. Personally I did away with it, as the droopy boom was a pain in the butt.

Default Re: Strange mainsail foot shape on new to me boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    Attache the "lower clew" permanently set up so the foot is set almost loose, then take the adjustable out-haul to the nxt cringle up & adjust foot tension with the out-haul