Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Workers in Essex Boatyard circa 1970

Hi folks,
    This may be of interest to someone. While inspecting chainplates I came across this inside the trim piece of wood.
    IMG_6413.jpg
    Our boat a Salar 40 was built by Essex Boatyards and perhaps someone will know the names and the people who signed it.
    BTW the chainplates were as good as new!

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default Re: Workers in Essex Boatyard circa 1970

What a nice touch. In 1968 (IIRC) we were invited to attend the launch of the first Salar 40 by Sir Francis Chichester. The boat was great and my parents would have loved to buy one but alas they could not afford one. Cannot say the same about Chichester, he went from my hero to a nasty man with his condescending attitude in not signing my First Cover to commemorate his trip, but telling me to send it to the Daily Mail with 5 shillings and he would sign it.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Lovely.

My brother, a time served cabinet maker and go-to person for woodwork always insists on leaving his mark on work he has done.

Seems that the profession sees it as their right to leave a mark on their work. Suppose if you are not willing to put your name on a piece of work the question is why.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

I can pick out a few names " Deacon, Nicholson?

Can you list them for us please?

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

The practice of initialing or signing major builds goes back a long way.

The Oxford Section of the Vintage Motor Cycle Club had a special visit to the Science Museum back in the late 70's.

The late John Brown of Carterton, racer, co founder of Oxford Speedway, garage owner, local eccentric of some repute attended.

We were shown round during our private visit by the motoring Curator, He said " This is local to you boys - a 1923 MG, built at the Longwall Street premises. "

John Brown slipped underneath the car, torch in hand, slid out and replied " No - its a Cowley one, built in 1925.

The Curator said that he must be mistaken, their research and provenance of this particular MG was immaculate.

" Well " said John " If you look where I just did, you will see, next to the bolts of the gearbox crossmember some stamped letters and a number. They are my and Harry's initials and the number is the year we built that particular MG. They were still modified Bullnose Cowley's then and we did the modifications on each car. "

Collapse of stout party, who borrowed the torch, had a look and promised to change the details on the board relating to that particular car.

In 1976 I had another instance of a car builder leaving a memento of his involvement with the building of a special car.

A customer had a BMW 3.0 CSL - the lightweight coupe with alloy panels. It had a click on gassing it, and a far heavier clonk on braking hard.

Investigation found a German vending machine coca cola bottle behind the trim of the offside wheel arch. It was upside down and swinging back and forth using the bulge on the bottle as a bearing surface.

Barsteward.................................

I'm fairly sure that John Nicholls was my wife's cousin. We have a Deacon in our club who's relatives worked at Essex Boatyard, always known as Wallasea in those days. I will check with him this weekend.

I'm delighted with the response and links being made.It would be fantastic if one or more of these great craftsmen are still around and could see this years later.

A. Hutcheon R.King
    M. Deacon Cannot make out this one
    P.Deacon J. Nicholes
    M. Bousfield

Would be my take on the names.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneHort View Post
    I'm delighted with the response and links being made.It would be fantastic if one or more of these great craftsmen are still around and could see this years later.

A. Hutcheon R.King
    M. Deacon Cannot make out this one
    P.Deacon J. Nicholes
    M. Bousfield

Would be my take on the names.
    I think there's a third name on the first line:
    D. S???. . .

The second name on the second line looks to me like:
    P. (E or B)AS(I or E)(L?)(S?). . .

Second name on the third line looks to me like:
    J. Nicholls
    (not Nicholes, which would also fit with Dan Tribe's recollection)
    LM Owners Association http://lmowners.proboards.com

I also knew two Hutcheon brothers Alastair and Anthony, still in touch with a nephew. Also possibly Mick Bowsfield?.
    Most of those guys worked as shipwrights at Tucker Browns , Kings or Priors but left to earn more money at Wallasea Bay or on building sites.
    Last edited by Dan Tribe; 20-11-19 at 13:30.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast