Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A season in South Brittany ?

We are thinking of keeping our boat in South Brittany for a season and exploring the area over long weekends and holidays in the summer. Has anyone done this and can you recommend a reasonably inexpensive place to base her. it would be best if there is public transport links from Roscoff
    I was thinking of somewhere in the Lorient, Vannes area as exploring the Islands would be a priority.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    T

Default Re: A season in South Brittany ?

I have kept a boat in Loctudy(locmarine) for the last six years. The rates are v reasonable,and any work required good. Great base for S.brittany and have ventured as far as Corunna.

Have you seen this site for public transport in Brittany? https://www.mobibreizh.bzh/

If you're going down for weekends can you take a car?
    Last edited by DJE; 19-11-19 at 15:37.
    ۞

Have a look in this thread
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...or-2020-cruise

We have had two long summer vacations remaining in the area so were not bothered about our links back to UK.

I think I I was leaving my boat for any longer durations I would probably choose a location either at Vannes or on the River Villaine. That will depend upon availability which others will be able to comment on as I dont have recent knowledge.

I love that area and am hoping that if my retirement is confirmed that we will be returning there next year from Wales via Southern Ireland including the Cork 300 and the Scillies with plenty of stops on another memorable Celtic Cruise.
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Aquarium La Rochelle is worth a visit.

Oops! wrong thread
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 19-11-19 at 17:50.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Friends asked about the Villaine and I nosed around a bit. They now keep their boat there on a dry basis, with 12(?) lift out/ins a year for when they want to use her. Works for them, but the area is a bit sparsley connected and not many useful towns/services.

Thanks for all the tips, will carry on with the research
    T

I'd second the R Villaine. La Roche Bernard is lovely, but always booked solid except for the buoys off the town. We left our boat in Arzal, just after the lock as you enter the river. Good rates and very secure, but not exactly 'buzzing' in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by tsekul View Post
    We are thinking of keeping our boat in South Brittany for a season and exploring the area over long weekends and holidays in the summer. Has anyone done this and can you recommend a reasonably inexpensive place to base her. it would be best if there is public transport links from Roscoff
    I was thinking of somewhere in the Lorient, Vannes area as exploring the Islands would be a priority.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    T
    Public transport to the Vilaine is all but impossible, we keep ours in Quiberon. Love the whole area but not sure many places are public transport friendly, don't think you can get anywhere from Roscoff without a bus to Morlaix first.
    When I 'delivered' my boat to Quiberon, to get home I took a bus to Auray, train to Caen via Rennes then another bus to Ouistreham for the ferry to Portsmouth. Left Quiberon at 0630, arrived Portsmouth at 2115. Would have been quicker to go via Paris on Eurostar but 3X more expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    Public transport to the Vilaine is all but impossible, we keep ours in Quiberon. Love the whole area but not sure many places are public transport friendly, don't think you can get anywhere from Roscoff without a bus to Morlaix first.
    When I 'delivered' my boat to Quiberon, to get home I took a bus to Auray, train to Caen via Rennes then another bus to Ouistreham for the ferry to Portsmouth. Left Quiberon at 0630, arrived Portsmouth at 2115. Would have been quicker to go via Paris on Eurostar but 3X more expensive...
    Not great but it has improved this year with 3 buses a day between Arzal and Vannes. If cost is important then Arzal is the cheapest berthing by some margin in the area though not much to do there. That said, La Roche Bernard is only 40 minutes up river and lots of other places are within 6 hours sail.
    Unless you live near a ferry port, flying from Nantes is the easiest way to get to London or Manchester.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 21-11-19 at 14:09.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast