Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cutting rectangular hole in bulkhead

Garmin having finally produced a software update for the GPSMap750, I知 toying with relocating it from a bracket mount at the chart table to flush mount on port bulkhead where there is a cable run to a soon to be obsolete depth repeater. (I have long lost the box but Garmin amazingly have a surface mounting kit!). I知 a bit concerned about using a power jig saw on thinnish grp and then have an even thinner layer to go through i.e. the one piece headlining- I知 afraid it will rip it. Is there a better technique to cut to a template?

Default Re: Cutting rectangular hole in bulkhead

Something like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QEBOE..._V380DbWT0QEE3

I used one to retro fit a flush mounted fog lamp into the bumper of my imported Mitsubishi Delica. Useful for loads of things though.

Not 100% sure of the problem but maybe a multi-tool is the answer? I often find it is the best tool for the job- very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZN_FOJS4RE

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you use a blade with reasonably small teeth - one advertised for cutting aluminium, for example, rather than ripping timber. However, other options would be a tile-cutting blade in your jigsaw, or getting one of the oscillating "multi-tools" that look a little like an angle-grinder with a chunk taken out of the disk. These are great for GRP especially into tight corners, and while they tend to be noisy they're very controllable - and have the unexpected benefit that they only cut rigid materials (soft ones just wobble back and forth) so if you catch your finger with it nothing much happens. Apparently they're actually used for cutting plaster casts off in hospitals

Pete

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

When I have cut large holes like this in GRP and metal I drilled holes at the corners and connected them by hand using a padsaw. I think a multitool might be OK but a jigsaw can do too much damage for my liking.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I drill holes in each corner and the use on of these tools as below

Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

The jig saw also needs a bit of depth to operate. Chain drilling, as above, is safe if a little more effort.
    In very thin stuff you can use a small reamer (the engineers tool for making exact sized holes) in a drill to cut between the holes. They are hard, use goggles.

Doing holes in the boat I always have a good long think about it before acting.

Use a Dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Use a Dremel.
    That just occurred to me as I was reading replies and has the advantage I already have one - any thoughts on which tool?

Padsaw was what I was originally thinking (just couldn't remember the name!)

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    The jig saw also needs a bit of depth to operate. Chain drilling, as above, is safe if a little more effort.
    If you're concerned about something close behind then repeatedly poking a drill bit through seems like a lot of chances to poke a little too deep. Definitely the multi-tool in that case, you can make a cut exactly as deep or shallow as you want. And it will leave a reasonably neat straight edge, rather than postage-stamp perforations.

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast