Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water maker

Default Water maker

Hi , I have been offered a water maker at seemingly a good price , it is a reverse osmosis type , the seller is very honest and suggests that it might not be suitable for use on boat for drinking water as it tastes not great after all minerals have been removed , but I thot that these are what everybody uses , any advice ? Type , “ osmotics pure water system “
    Last edited by cherod; 19-11-19 at 11:44.

Default Re: Water maker

Maybe a good start would be to read comments on this recent thread.
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...lus-watermaker

It would be very hard to offer advice on the information you have provided.

Not sure what more information is required , the unit is marketed as for domestic type fish tanks , drinking water etc and is currently being used as filtration system for marine aquarium , it ii not huge output my my concern is the water “ not taste great “ as all minerals have been removed , ‘twas my belief that the reverse osmosis type was the favoured type for use on boats ?? Yes I

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

This is not a water maker in the desalination of seawater sense. It is designed to remove contaminants from tap water not salt from sea water. From their website, it doesn’t use the high pressures and membranes of a desalination system: it relies of beds of resin beads to remove contaminants. It won’t turn sea water into drinking water.

Duncan is quite correct having done both (kept fish and have a water maker on board). This is a totally different product for a different purpose if it is designed for aquarium keepers. Reverse osmosis is used to remove minerals and contaminants from tap water (especially nitrates) and effectively produce distilled water ideal for marine fish keeping or some freshwater fish (Discus). They are designed also to work off mains pressure. Boat water makers in a sense achieve the same end product but are designed to remove large amounts of common salt as well so the membranes are very different and the pressure required is usually considerable higher. It is true both produce close too distilled water so it is lacking in taste and minerals. Most people agree it will not do you any harm, but some do use a mineral additive to rebalance the water from a water making for drinking.

Ok boys, thank you very much for your input / help / advice , well , as they say “ if it seems too good to be true etc ! “ , so back to the search .

Quote Originally Posted by cherod View Post
    Ok boys, thank you very much for your input / help / advice , well , as they say “ if it seems too good to be true etc ! “ , so back to the search .
    Maybe this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYHVs-uZE0

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    Duncan is quite correct having done both (kept fish and have a water maker on board). This is a totally different product for a different purpose if it is designed for aquarium keepers. Reverse osmosis is used to remove minerals and contaminants from tap water (especially nitrates) and effectively produce distilled water ideal for marine fish keeping or some freshwater fish (Discus). They are designed also to work off mains pressure. Boat water makers in a sense achieve the same end product but are designed to remove large amounts of common salt as well so the membranes are very different and the pressure required is usually considerable higher. It is true both produce close too distilled water so it is lacking in taste and minerals. Most people agree it will not do you any harm, but some do use a mineral additive to rebalance the water from a water making for drinking.
    +1 - it tastes like crap, I tried it at our old apartment when the test results on the water quality were so poor. I THINK MAYBE TRY DRINKING DISTILLED WATER WOULD GIVE YOU SOME IDEA.

W.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by cherod View Post

https://sublimesustenance.files.word...watermaker.pdf
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

That was quite a comprehensive video , simple put together and not bad price , @ 1k£ with current exchange ,,, but then import tax would add considerable amount , and bulky and heavy , would need careful positioning and large area , and oh so so noisy !! Have seen quite a few videos on instillations and that is one of the better ones . Ty R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast