Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dismasted

Default Re: Dismasted

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    ..... I would expect to remove the pins for speed as there are only 7 to remove on my Fulmar's ¾ rigged mast. For larger boats a battery powered angle grinder would be my choice.
    Th video showed that hacksaw blades for stainless were very fast, although the item to be cut was under tension, much faster than and easier than removing a split pin, position a drift, hammering out a pin. IIRC there is a thread on this forum where a person who lost their mast described pushing out the pins; it was not difficult to do. The suggestion being, don't worry to much about rigging cutters as driving the pins out is straight forward and works. No idea the size of boat.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Another way to release the rigging is to unlock and disconnect the rigging screws with simple hand tools (spanner and screw driver
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I recall the text of some BOT scenario in an examination for masters where the foremast carried away and the mainmast topsle was swinging about and you had lost steerage due to rudder damage............what would you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    You should have tried my Hunter Formula 1, a Stephen Jones extreme race boat 22ft long, 8ft beam and lock down keel. With the mast down and the keel lifted ready to enter the launching/recovery trailer, that was very tippy and you had to be very careful moving anywhere on board.
    Oo-er. I can imagine. My Hunter 490 (someone give me some money and just take it away, please) is noticeably wobbly with the keel raised ... I've never been on board with the mast down too, but really wouldn't fancy it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Traditional keel boats without their mast stepped are very tippy indeed

Read about Hammond Innes motoring his new steel boat to UK from Holland. No rig , and it had a nasty short roll. Very unpleasant.
    The inertia of the mast matters.

That’s the word,inertia

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    The inertia of the mast matters.
    Technically it's the (second) moment of inertia. My mast had a mass of 50kg and a length of 8m, giving it a moment of inertai about its centre of 267 kg m2, which gets an additional 1250 kg m2 when rotating around the metacentre, about 5m lower down. That's a total of about 1500 kg m2, which is about 2.5 times as much as the 500 kg keel had. It doesn't help with righting, of course, but the mast is generally much more important for dynamic roll resistance.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

JD
    You do speak English as well, don't you?

Re what to do when your mast falls over....

Not all your rigging will be under load... the bit that failed won't be for starters.
    Most of it you can pop the pins quite easily.
    If you have a roller furler best thing is a hacksaw above the furler drum
    You will end up with only one loaded wire connecting rig to boat.
    Hacksaw works on wire under load.

Don't ask how I know this.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast