Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    This may do the job for some ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0

Written by a simple sailorman for simple sailormen....
    It’s good. Thanks for the new address, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Correction for anyone who wants to look it up, Mary Blewitt, yes it's a good book.
    Correction for peeps who want to actually learn astro. Its a crap book.....waaaay too complicated. Puts makey learnies off. In my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    This may do the job for some ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0

Written by a simple sailorman for simple sailormen....
    This is an incredible body of work and very generous of you to post it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Correction for peeps who want to actually learn astro. Its a crap book.....waaaay too complicated. Puts makey learnies off. In my experience.
    That's a bit harsh. I don't like the book myself but it is credited with success by some. There are many text books on the subject for a reason; people have different approaches to learning and one resource that works for some may not work for others. I'm not a fan of on-line learning, no matter how good their online staff but this, too, works for some

My most treasured text book is Bowditch, American Practical Navigator

I learnt from David Derrick's "Navigation for Offshore and Ocean Sailors" (1981). It has a formidable and off-putting first chapter, but thereafter takes a good step by step approach with plenty of worked examples. Unfortunately it contains a few mistakes.

Instruction books of this era assumed graphical plotting and required a shelf-load of almanacs and sight reduction tables. In those days there were no 'downloadable' automated solutions. So the first thing I did was program all the calculations needed for sun-sights onto a new Texas Instruments TI60 programmable calculator using the formulae in Peter Duffett-Smith's excellent booklet "Practical Astronomy with your Calculator" (1981). That not only spared my bookcase, but served me across two ocean passages before GPS made all this irrelevant. By the way, that TI60 still works impeccably after 35 years, with just one battery change.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    So the first thing I did was program all the calculations needed for sun-sights onto a new Texas Instruments TI60 programmable calculator using the formulae in Peter Duffett-Smith's excellent booklet "Practical Astronomy with your Calculator" (1981). That not only spared my bookcase, but served me across two ocean passages before GPS made all this irrelevant. By the way, that TI60 still works impeccably after 35 years, with just one battery change.
    My late brother-in-law did two Whitbreads and an OSTAR with the same kit.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Try this website https://www.backbearing.com/. Many of the corrections you have to apply get combined which simplifies things.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    Try this website https://www.backbearing.com/. Many of the corrections you have to apply get combined which simplifies things.
    there is a link to Andrew Evans' Sextant user's guide. That got me going on sun sights!

I was glad to see you say that, I neither practice or need astro but would like to one day, so got Mary Blewitts' book - as you say oft mentioned.

Not so much an unputdownable page turner as a ' afteronepagenot pickupable again ' job.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I have been recommeded Celestial Navigation: A Complete Home Study Course, Second Edition Paperback by David Burch, by a respected navigator.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Totally agree, I have a first degree in engineering so lots of applyed maths and was totally confused by her book. It might suit somebody who likes pure maths?
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast