Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 87
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    10,410

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    This may do the job for some ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0

    Written by a simple sailorman for simple sailormen....
    It’s good. Thanks for the new address, Frank.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlantic
    Posts
    21,781

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Correction for anyone who wants to look it up, Mary Blewitt, yes it's a good book.
    Correction for peeps who want to actually learn astro. Its a crap book.....waaaay too complicated. Puts makey learnies off. In my experience.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home: North West, Boat: The Clyde
    Posts
    3,764

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    This may do the job for some ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5blh1rgvi...ation.pdf?dl=0

    Written by a simple sailorman for simple sailormen....
    This is an incredible body of work and very generous of you to post it, thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Correction for peeps who want to actually learn astro. Its a crap book.....waaaay too complicated. Puts makey learnies off. In my experience.
    That's a bit harsh. I don't like the book myself but it is credited with success by some. There are many text books on the subject for a reason; people have different approaches to learning and one resource that works for some may not work for others. I'm not a fan of on-line learning, no matter how good their online staff but this, too, works for some

    My most treasured text book is Bowditch, American Practical Navigator

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Corfu - mostly
    Posts
    5,412

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    I learnt from David Derrick's "Navigation for Offshore and Ocean Sailors" (1981). It has a formidable and off-putting first chapter, but thereafter takes a good step by step approach with plenty of worked examples. Unfortunately it contains a few mistakes.

    Instruction books of this era assumed graphical plotting and required a shelf-load of almanacs and sight reduction tables. In those days there were no 'downloadable' automated solutions. So the first thing I did was program all the calculations needed for sun-sights onto a new Texas Instruments TI60 programmable calculator using the formulae in Peter Duffett-Smith's excellent booklet "Practical Astronomy with your Calculator" (1981). That not only spared my bookcase, but served me across two ocean passages before GPS made all this irrelevant. By the way, that TI60 still works impeccably after 35 years, with just one battery change.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,604

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    So the first thing I did was program all the calculations needed for sun-sights onto a new Texas Instruments TI60 programmable calculator using the formulae in Peter Duffett-Smith's excellent booklet "Practical Astronomy with your Calculator" (1981). That not only spared my bookcase, but served me across two ocean passages before GPS made all this irrelevant. By the way, that TI60 still works impeccably after 35 years, with just one battery change.
    My late brother-in-law did two Whitbreads and an OSTAR with the same kit.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Mersea, UK
    Posts
    353

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Try this website https://www.backbearing.com/. Many of the corrections you have to apply get combined which simplifies things.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chichester
    Posts
    836

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    Try this website https://www.backbearing.com/. Many of the corrections you have to apply get combined which simplifies things.
    there is a link to Andrew Evans' Sextant user's guide. That got me going on sun sights!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    28,992

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Correction for peeps who want to actually learn astro. Its a crap book.....waaaay too complicated. Puts makey learnies off. In my experience.
    I was glad to see you say that, I neither practice or need astro but would like to one day, so got Mary Blewitts' book - as you say oft mentioned.

    Not so much an unputdownable page turner as a ' afteronepagenot pickupable again ' job.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Celtic Fringe
    Posts
    14,505

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    I have been recommeded Celestial Navigation: A Complete Home Study Course, Second Edition Paperback by David Burch, by a respected navigator.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Celtic Fringe
    Posts
    14,505

    Default Re: Cunliffe's star gazing book

    Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Correction for peeps who want to actually learn astro. Its a crap book.....waaaay too complicated. Puts makey learnies off. In my experience.
    Totally agree, I have a first degree in engineering so lots of applyed maths and was totally confused by her book. It might suit somebody who likes pure maths?
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to