Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rudder Lost at Sea

I am posting this for interest and comments:

What else could they have done? and what lessons to learn ?
    You really only know - when you know little. Doubt grows with knowledge.

Default Re: Rudder Lost at Sea

The lesson from this is really that you need a solid, tested plan for an emergency rudder system if venturing into the oceans long term. Alternatively, you need a good inspection and maintenance regime that allows the rudder, shaft and bearings performance standard and integrity to be maintained / verified. Even then, a tested contingency is essential for long term voyaging, in my opinion.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Life's too short to spend 56 minutes watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Life's too short to spend 56 minutes watching that.
    Well you could point and click on the time line, (fast forward), to the interesting bits ?
    You really only know - when you know little. Doubt grows with knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Labrador View Post
    Well you could point and click on the time line, (fast forward), to the interesting bits ?
    Where are they? Do they have grubby corners like the dirty books of my adolescence?

Mike.

Under the circumstances, they managed very well

I had my rudder rebuilt a few years ago by a firm in Southampton. Unfortunately, it broke off whilst I was sailing along the Latvian coast, and I had to anchor in 17 m of water and wait to be rescued by the Latvian Navy, who did an excellent job.

The rudder failed because they had welded a stainless steel bar onto a stainless steel tube; this weld had obviously been corroding over a period of time, and then simply broke away.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Labrador View Post
    and what lessons to learn ?
    I am guessing no one watched the whole video because the reason the rudder broke is interesting, relevant to anyone with a metal stock spade rudder and not something I have seen covered on sailing forums before.

A stray wire inside the compass binnacle broke loose and created a circuit from the battery, through the steering quadrant and triggered stray current corrosion at the rudder stock where a 2v potential difference was identified after the rudder loss. They had dropped the rudder 2 years earlier during their substantial pre circumnavigation refit and the rudder looked fine then.

That's the sort of thing worth reporting as very few people would ever consider it; there may be signs like whatever the wire came off failing then corrosion at the binnacle but sounds not - a genuine Gotcha which in aircraft circles would be publicised as yet another thing to consider, and now in boat circles it is here.

I only do Solent, West Country and cross Channel stuff, but have for a long time had a rowlock seat on the transom of my 22', the idea being if I somehow lost the rudder I could use the spi pole in the rowlock with a bunk lid as a rudder...

I have it all in mind but really must test it !

This is tricky as whatever emergency came up probably wouldn't be like any test - the rudder is well attached and powerful and if jammed over would be a much bigger problem than losing it completely - in reality for my sailing it may well be a lifeboat tow job but one likes not to rely on risking other people.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

32:35 is quite interesting
    Last edited by 38mess; 25-11-19 at 08:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast