Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Cosmetic job on Steel Hartley 32 after successful work last year

Our Steel Hartley Ella was hauled on Thursday. I pressure washed it, removed the five anodes, cleaned and primed a few hull loose spots and we got two coats of Altex No. 5 antifoul on by Friday lunchtime. Yesterday we took the shine off the white painted hull, I filled a few places where rust was showing previously and where treating the area had left small hollows - the paint thickness must be 1.5mm! Removed a short piece of rubbing strake to deal with a small corroded area underneath and by the end of today we had top coated the Starboard side. Will deal with the Port side tomorrow, including another small area of corrosion under the rubbing strake.

Our mate Errol, builder of several large Steel boats over the last thirty years will move the exhaust outlet to the side instead of it exiting the transom almost at water level where it splashes all over the transom and cockpit when the engine is running. He will cut a hole for our new plotter and weld some fairleads to the foredeck toerail. He will, I hope, weld a plate over the old exhaust hole...................

Once that is done, back in the 'oggin and it will be time to paint and kiwi grip the flush deck - no coachroof on this design - fit the plotter and go sailing.

Errol went to the Marlborough Sounds Thursday, back soon.

He went to see the replica Endevour, and, in fact, might sail back to Wellington in company with it.

We are really pleased with our efforts from last year, the new windows look great, the corrosion around the window apertures was dealt with properly and shows no sign of returning.

A first for us, we started and finished the cruising class Saturday race yesterday from the Start Box for the Evans Bay club. Never been interested in boat racing, but it was good to help out.

When Ella is ready they keep telling us they will find us some experienced crew and take us out racing!

Not sure about that, but we shall see.

At least she will look good!

I'll report further progress as it happens, from WAY down South, bye for now..............................

Default Re: Cosmetic job on Steel Hartley 32 after successful work last year

I assume you consulted Brent before you tackled any of that?

Nice work, can we have some pictures please? I used to have a Hartley 32 ferro that I kept in Greece, fond memories...

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    I assume you consulted Brent before you tackled any of that?
    I beg your pardon!

I am seriously affronted. I made it clear several times that Brent's undoubtedly good ideas need to be put in during build - they are certainly not worth carrying out retrospectively on an inexpensive boat.

The areas of corrosion under the teak rubbing strake were cleaned back to bare grey metal, three coats of a zinc rich primer, two coats of epoxy and then white topcoat.

The seriously corroded window apertures were treated the same way this time last year and are fine.

That is the extent of Brent's input, and in truth, its the right way to do it without needle guns or shot/sand blast kit.

Thanks for your interest..................

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I've been doing up some rust spots on my steel lavranos by using a combination of wire brushing to remove any paint over rust. Needle gunning and acid to get back to grey metal.

How did you get back to gray metal.

Who is this Brent Guy.
    Last edited by Rogershaw; 24-11-19 at 10:33. Reason: Missed the r out of Brent so wrote Bent Guy
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Thanks for your interest..................
    No prob
    Anything I can do to help or direct you to the right resources

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    I've been doing up some rust spots on my steel lavranos by using a combination of wire brushing to remove any paint over rust. Needle gunning and acid to get back to grey metal.

How did you get back to gray metal.

Who is this Brent Guy.
    I have been using an angle grinder fitted with a heavy duty cup type wire brush. This really clears the rust/paint. I did use a punch and hammer to chip heavy flakes away before wire brushing again.

Then 80 grit sandpaper to bring the high spots up bright. The hollows are dealt with by a multi tool with velcro-on triangular sanding pads on a sponge base. This, carefully used, has allowed the whole small area to be bought to grey metal.

Three coats of Zinc rich paint, two of epoxy, rub down, fill with car body filler and sand smooth, primer and two of topcoat.

I borrowed a needle gun last year to do the window apertures, but the compressor I also borrowed has died, so as I only had to do two small areas I did it the harder way.

Last year I used Fertan as a rust converter around the stanchion bases and flush deck skylight.

Did not work.

I will do it as above and see if its as good as what has worked.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I do have a small compressor built in on board. Does not have the capacity for continuous running but is OK.

I tried all rust converters and non I used worked due to some rust being left unconverted. This is why I started using several applications of acid first hydrochloric then phosphoric.

Below water I use epoxy tar on deck I use high build epoxy primer.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by V1701 View Post
    Nice work, can we have some pictures please? I used to have a Hartley 32 ferro that I kept in Greece, fond memories...
    I have never posted photo's on here, but if you PM me with your email address I can send you some.

Why is a new plotter necessary?

Has the boat not been fully reef/supertanker tested?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast