Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Cosmetic job on Steel Hartley 32 after successful work last year

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Why is a new plotter necessary?

Has the boat not been fully reef/supertanker tested?
    The bargain basement Hartley - it cost $8250 NZ five years ago, about £4,000.00 Stirling, came with a tiny Garmin in black and white plus a fishfinder/depth. Both were under the hard doghouse and were removed for security after sailing. Despite best attempts to keep the connectors dry and clean they corroded when out of use.

The other reason is we wanted one we could see! The chosen one is a Garmin Echomap Plus 90. It will be fitted flush in the starboard side cockpit bulkhead, all wiring internal so it should be more reliable.

The hole is to be cut tomorrow, along with the exhaust outlet and the fairleads.

With any luck we might get splashed Saturday. It has not, in our ownership, hit any reefs, freighters, supertankers or sunken containers, neither has a whale jumped out and fallen onto it. Quite tame really, compared to many steel boat adventures.....................

Watch this space!
    Last edited by rotrax; 26-11-19 at 09:44.

A fantastic story this, about how with a bit of hard work and a decent skill base, you have produced a low-cost perfectly functional boat, which provides a lot of fun, and about which you are perfectly realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    It has not, in our ownership, hit any reefs, freighters, supertankers or sunken containers, neither has a whale jumped out and fallen onto it. Quite tame really, compared to many steel boat adventures.....................
    You are completely sure it is a steel boat? I suggest closing the hatches and torching it, just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    You are completely sure it is a steel boat? I suggest closing the hatches and torching it, just to make sure.
    Yup, pretty sure it is steel. My mate Errol has many skills, but welding steel to GRP, ferro, alloy or timber is not one of them!

We started at 9AM, taped the template into place, Errol cut the hole through the 3mm steel with a jigsaw for the plotter. I Zinc primed the edges, another couple of coats and I will epoxy and then topcoat it.

I then removed the exhaust - finding a loose clip which could have flooded the boat - and Errol cut the new outlet hole using his roofers joist drill and a metal hole cutter. I found a thin spot just above the original hole - could see daylight through it, so the area was cleaned of antifoul and paint and the piece cut out for the plotter was found to be almost right to reinforce the area, and fill the original outlet hole. Galvanic corrosion through dissimilar metals and damp is clearly the cause.

So, rounded the corners, Errol welded it in place.

Went to the local chandler and picked up a plastic Vetus type silencer - 85 bucks NZ, about 43 quid. Need a new bit of 42mm exhaust tubing, about 2 metres to make a really sound job of it. It never had a silencer and was REALLY noisy. A couple of bits of domestic plastic waste pipe had been glued together as both a stepdown and right angle elbow. This has been deep sixed and Marelon pieces found to make a better job.

Another early start tomorrow, got to get plenty of primer and epoxy on if pos so we can topcoat Friday, get splashed Saturday.

The replica Endevour is sailing into Wellington Saturday morning, might have a couple of hours off and watch her come in.

BFN, more later.
    Last edited by rotrax; 27-11-19 at 06:38. Reason: additional text.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    A fantastic story this, about how with a bit of hard work and a decent skill base, you have produced a low-cost perfectly functional boat, which provides a lot of fun, and about which you are perfectly realistic.

+1

Well, back in the 'oggin, in our berth at Evans Bay Marina. The new exhaust outlet, new flexible wet rubber pipe and silencer have REALLY worked - very quiet from the exhaust now. Before it sounded like a motorbike on an open exhaust!

She is looking good too. You cannot, it is said, make a silk purse from a sows ear, but we have managed to make something quite good at holding money. A bit over budget, but is not that always the case?

Had a day off today, back on board tomorrow to lube the Furlex, put the sails on, fit the quarter berth boards and panels removed for access to the exhaust and tidy up and paint the inner edge of the bulkhead where the plotter is going. Then I will lower the ceiling boards to pull the plotter cables through and route them to where they need to be.

Then, tackle the heads. The electric pump is always stuck when we return, but I am getting better at fixing it quickly.

When all is ready, a couple of nights away in the Harbour to check out the systems.

And, perhaps, a bit of fishing.............................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12