Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Ham radio operator

This is an interesting thread, but I suspect the real game changer will be if Elon Musk's Starlink lives up to it's hype.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I did the mandatory '12 words a minute' exam close on 50 years ago
    Some simple age-related sums suggest that you likely aren't wanting certification in order to work on SOLAS vessels but if you did you'd be looking at the General Operator's Certificate rather than LRC. I was considering this a few years back before getting sucked into (non-marine) work. IIRC it was a week and £1k at Warsash last time I looked. Now it seems to be 10 days £1335. LRC is shorter/cheaper.

I'm guessing a ham course wouldn't reference GMDSS so it wouldn't be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    It took me by surprise at first, but reading the post in context makes me believe that he was using "am" as an abbreviation for "amateur"
    "am" is not, and never has been used as an abbreviation for "amateur", and you know it. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    "am" is not, and never has been used as an abbreviation for "amateur", and you know it. Grow up.
    You mean all those "pro-am" golf tournaments were just about professionals varying the size of their swings?
    (edit: or ones for those advocating that golf should be over and done with before lunchtime)
    Last edited by laika; 25-11-19 at 14:49.

No need to get shirty with me - I didn't post it - if you reread the post you questioned, I think it's pretty clear that the intention of "am" was "amateur"!

Chasps, chasps....

You're muddying the waters with 'atmospherics'. 'Straighten up and fly right'. Puleeze!

Or I'll find some other mixed metaphors to torture us all with.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Some simple age-related sums suggest that you likely aren't wanting certification in order to work on SOLAS vessels but if you did you'd be looking at the General Operator's Certificate rather than LRC. I was considering this a few years back before getting sucked into (non-marine) work. IIRC it was a week and £1k at Warsash last time I looked. Now it seems to be 10 days £1335. LRC is shorter/cheaper.
    In some countries, the GOC allows to be granted an amateur licence without exams, I do not know precisely about the UK but maybe worth investigating.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Heard the LRC marine SSB license/course in the UK is actually pretty basic compared to the advanced ham license.
    Very much so as I did both fairly close together. Got quite irritated by the LRC instructor as course was more about passing an exam than first principles but I did do radio basics as an apprentice in the 70s
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    You mean all those "pro-am" golf tournaments were just about professionals varying the size of their swings?
    (edit: or ones for those advocating that golf should be over and done with before lunchtime)
    "pro-am" is not "am". What's your point?

"pro-am" is not "am". What's your point?
    A clearly off-topic one. We wouldn't want any amateur dramatics to detract from the discussion at hand

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast