Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    This is an interesting thread, but I suspect the real game changer will be if Elon Musk's Starlink lives up to it's hype.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,141

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I did the mandatory '12 words a minute' exam close on 50 years ago
    Some simple age-related sums suggest that you likely aren't wanting certification in order to work on SOLAS vessels but if you did you'd be looking at the General Operator's Certificate rather than LRC. I was considering this a few years back before getting sucked into (non-marine) work. IIRC it was a week and £1k at Warsash last time I looked. Now it seems to be 10 days £1335. LRC is shorter/cheaper.

    I'm guessing a ham course wouldn't reference GMDSS so it wouldn't be my choice

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Durham, England
    Posts
    16,661

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    It took me by surprise at first, but reading the post in context makes me believe that he was using "am" as an abbreviation for "amateur"
    "am" is not, and never has been used as an abbreviation for "amateur", and you know it. Grow up.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,141

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    "am" is not, and never has been used as an abbreviation for "amateur", and you know it. Grow up.
    You mean all those "pro-am" golf tournaments were just about professionals varying the size of their swings?
    (edit: or ones for those advocating that golf should be over and done with before lunchtime)
    Last edited by laika; 25-11-19 at 14:49.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    "am" is not, and never has been used as an abbreviation for "amateur", and you know it. Grow up.
    No need to get shirty with me - I didn't post it - if you reread the post you questioned, I think it's pretty clear that the intention of "am" was "amateur"!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,790

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Chasps, chasps....

    You're muddying the waters with 'atmospherics'. 'Straighten up and fly right'. Puleeze!

    Or I'll find some other mixed metaphors to torture us all with.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip
    Posts
    3,605

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Some simple age-related sums suggest that you likely aren't wanting certification in order to work on SOLAS vessels but if you did you'd be looking at the General Operator's Certificate rather than LRC. I was considering this a few years back before getting sucked into (non-marine) work. IIRC it was a week and £1k at Warsash last time I looked. Now it seems to be 10 days £1335. LRC is shorter/cheaper.
    In some countries, the GOC allows to be granted an amateur licence without exams, I do not know precisely about the UK but maybe worth investigating.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On land for now
    Posts
    2,833

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Heard the LRC marine SSB license/course in the UK is actually pretty basic compared to the advanced ham license.
    Very much so as I did both fairly close together. Got quite irritated by the LRC instructor as course was more about passing an exam than first principles but I did do radio basics as an apprentice in the 70s
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Durham, England
    Posts
    16,661

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    You mean all those "pro-am" golf tournaments were just about professionals varying the size of their swings?
    (edit: or ones for those advocating that golf should be over and done with before lunchtime)
    "pro-am" is not "am". What's your point?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,141

    Default Re: Ham radio operator

    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    "pro-am" is not "am". What's your point?
    A clearly off-topic one. We wouldn't want any amateur dramatics to detract from the discussion at hand

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to