Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New boat tunning chapter 1: Google Home, Nespresso and Tender Davits

Hi,
    Just bought a 35 foot hardtop boat and now it is time for the "finishing touches":

- Google home: The first ones are "hey google open the hardtop", "hey google play the news" to listen to the latest financial and tech news and the basic "hey google play soft music". I already installed everything in my house from the door bell to open curtains, air condition, vacuum, light inside and garden... so i am really addicted to the thing as it is useful so this will be a nice compliment on the boat! (and to have at least one thing to make my friends with 50 foot and big cats jealous of the little boat ).

- Nespresso (or equivalent): how can we live without it? 1300w is a lot of power off the marina.. doing homework on this one...

- Tender and davits: first important area. I have 6 months to get this done. Have found very interesting solutions, clean and relatively cheap (3k eur) from
    Hurley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdyiFQAigTc
    Weaver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Dn1Q1e7Lo

Has anyone got them, has feedback or know similar solutions here in Europe?

Thank you!
    Last edited by wawando; 25-11-19 at 12:18.

Default Re: New boat tunning chapter 1: Google Home, Nespresso and Tender Davits

Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Default Re: New boat tunning chapter 1: Google Home, Nespresso and Tender Davits

Thx! I had a look on your site. Super, congrats! One of my great friends has a 2250 just like yours, he will love your site! About the Minipresso, it is one of the options but only if i can't find a "insert the capsule and go" solution.

I have extensive home automation.

This all requires one thing. The internet.

I would never put it on a boat. The thing is unreliable enough as it is and having constant internet whilst possible close to shore is just going to cost and be a source of hassle.

Automation is bad enough at home.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I have extensive home automation.

This all requires one thing. The internet.

I would never put it on a boat. The thing is unreliable enough as it is and having constant internet whilst possible close to shore is just going to cost and be a source of hassle.

Automation is bad enough at home.
    Lets see how it goes... i like to experiment. All on non-essential stuff, of course!
    I only navigate close to shore, where we always have 4g.

About the Davits, found it in Europe, in UK in fact. Any feedback on this?
    https://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/hurley-...nch-5832-p.asp

The best value controllers are Sonoff.

I have 50 of them ... but on a boat ... no! At home they seamlessly control pretty much everything. They ( mostly) run on 240v. There do have some ( 4 way controllers) that run on 24volt.

See how you get on. but do bear in mind no manufacturer does it ( that I know of) and as someone who uses a lot of them I would not put it on a boat. Power, water, wifi, Internet, voyage fluctuations. I am sure you can get it to work - the issue will be hassle and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    The best value controllers are Sonoff.

I have 50 of them ... but on a boat ... no! At home they seamlessly control pretty much everything. They ( mostly) run on 240v. There do have some ( 4 way controllers) that run on 24volt.

See how you get on. but do bear in mind no manufacturer does it ( that I know of) and as someone who uses a lot of them I would not put it on a boat. Power, water, wifi, Internet, voyage fluctuations. I am sure you can get it to work - the issue will be hassle and reliability.
    I agree, sonoff rules!
    Have you tried this one? https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-Wirele.../dp/B07F6YZXST
    Last edited by wawando; 25-11-19 at 13:30.

We have Alexas everywhere - dotted round the house, in the car and on the boat. We did test Google Home, but I could never get on with her - Alexa is just so cheeky and seductive! My wife refers to her as "your girlfriend"...

Alex works OK through a 4g MiFi hotspot provided the signal is good. The trouble is that the mobile phone companies tend to put the cell masts a few miles inland - they don't want to waste money providing high speed coverage ten or fifteen miles off-shore. Just moving along the south coast, it is rare to find a marina or anchorage with good 4g signals - you are often doing well to get a 2g connection! Personal Assistants like Alex and Google Home do like their bandwidth - the poor dear often takes several seconds to analyse my request and produce a response... I'm guessing that decent bandwidth is even more rare as you get further north in the country with far lower levels of population along the coast.

As far as the other items on your list are concerned - we've never had any of these new-fangled coffee machines - not in the house and certainly not in the boat! I'm perfectly happy with a spoonful of one of the better instants in a cup of water boiled in the kettle! I would love davits, but ours is a sailing boat with nowhere to attach them, so we have to tow the dinghy when we have it inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    We have Alexas everywhere - dotted round the house, in the car and on the boat. We did test Google Home, but I could never get on with her - Alexa is just so cheeky and seductive! My wife refers to her as "your girlfriend"...

Alex works OK through a 4g MiFi hotspot provided the signal is good. The trouble is that the mobile phone companies tend to put the cell masts a few miles inland - they don't want to waste money providing high speed coverage ten or fifteen miles off-shore. Just moving along the south coast, it is rare to find a marina or anchorage with good 4g signals - you are often doing well to get a 2g connection! Personal Assistants like Alex and Google Home do like their bandwidth - the poor dear often takes several seconds to analyse my request and produce a response... I'm guessing that decent bandwidth is even more rare as you get further north in the country with far lower levels of population along the coast.

As far as the other items on your list are concerned - we've never had any of these new-fangled coffee machines - not in the house and certainly not in the boat! I'm perfectly happy with a spoonful of one of the better instants in a cup of water boiled in the kettle! I would love davits, but ours is a sailing boat with nowhere to attach them, so we have to tow the dinghy when we have it inflated.
    Thank you for the feedback!
    I also have Alexa but she feels dumb when compared to Google...
    By the way i switched from all-time-iphone-user to Android just because of the google voice assistant...
    About the H3O Davits i posted, i am wondering if it fits the Leader 10 platform, but it seems to be very small and tidy...

We struggle with the basics of Google Home and chromecast. On the other hand our 4g signal in N Wales gives us better performance than home broadband several miles out and is in constant use streaming video and music content to several devices at once.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast