Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New boat tunning chapter 1: Google Home, Nespresso and Tender Davits

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    We struggle with the basics of Google Home and chromecast. On the other hand our 4g signal in N Wales gives us better performance than home broadband several miles out and is in constant use streaming video and music content to several devices at once.
    I will do some tests when i actually get the boat (it is being cleaned up).

I found the Davits here https://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/hurley-...nch-4271-p.asp

I am thinking that mechanical might be the best option as it does not need more of the precious battery energy (that i already am going to burn on other stuff like google and those useless things... )... Any suggestions?

Default Re: New boat tunning chapter 1: Google Home, Nespresso and Tender Davits

I fitted the hurley H30 davit to mine last year (pics below). Although not cheap to buy, it's well made, easy to install, and makes launching and retrieval of our tender (Ribeye 2.8m and 10hp outboard) a simple enough process. The most time consuming part is strapping the tender in position on the bathing platform.
    One point to note, although there are demonstration videos showing the davit being used to retrieve heavy jet ski's and tenders, in practice i wouldnt have thought it is as easy as they show it, if the tender and outboard are extremely heavy.

WP_20180718_16_48_40_Pro.jpgWP_20190421_13_52_45_Pro.jpg

Edit: No idea why the pictures are attaching sideways
    Regards Jon

Quote Originally Posted by sharpness View Post
    I fitted the hurley H30 davit to mine last year (pics below). Although not cheap to buy, it's well made, easy to install, and makes launching and retrieval of our tender (Ribeye 2.8m and 10hp outboard) a simple enough process. The most time consuming part is strapping the tender in position on the bathing platform.
    One point to note, although there are demonstration videos showing the davit being used to retrieve heavy jet ski's and tenders, in practice i wouldnt have thought it is as easy as they show it, if the tender and outboard are extremely heavy.

WP_20180718_16_48_40_Pro.jpgWP_20190421_13_52_45_Pro.jpg

Edit: No idea why the pictures are attaching sideways
    Thank you for the feedback!
    Can you help me with two important questions: what is the width of your platform?
    Do you recommend electric or mechanic winch?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by wawando View Post
    I will do some tests when i actually get the boat (it is being cleaned up).

I found the Davits here https://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/hurley-...nch-4271-p.asp

I am thinking that mechanical might be the best option as it does not need more of the precious battery energy (that i already am going to burn on other stuff like google and those useless things... )... Any suggestions?
    I'm not familiar with that particular Hurley davit but am with it's predecessor which cradles a dinghy well but if the dinghy is heavy and the swim platform a little high can be a very heavy pull indeed and if the pulling straps arent just right can pull the tender up skew and be a faff to get right especially in any swell.
    However the biggest issue may be swim ladder placement and configuration. My concern would be falling / diving in and not being able to easily board again if the tender is up. So I went from weaver style davits to traditional instead.

I am studying the "what dinghy" subject.
    From what i have read so far it is trickier to choose than the main boat
    A 2.50m to 2.40m soft bottom with as much power as possible 8hp 2T engine is the target, at least for now... The thing is that my boat is only 3m73 wide, so can't have a huge tender, max 2.40 to 2.50...

Quote Originally Posted by wawando View Post
    I am studying the "what dinghy" subject.
    From what i have read so far it is trickier to choose than the main boat
    A 2.50m to 2.40m soft bottom with as much power as possible 8hp 2T engine is the target, at least for now... The thing is that my boat is only 3m73 wide, so can't have a huge tender, max 2.40 to 2.50...
    I have a 280 large diameter tube on that width. Air deck or inflatable keel. It leaves enough room to board with the dinghy offset. Soft bottom for weight. Not a problem with a hard bottom in the Med but with large tides, having a heavy dinghy stranded up top the beach is a real pain. A 280 given your family size is really minimum. I carry 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog with all the beach accoutrements in a single trip. If you are a beach goer then your tender is probably your most important choice when it comes to leveraging enjoyment from your boat.

Edit
    Not the best of pictures but it shows my setup. Separate outboard bracket. Dinghy offset. Davit arms can be removed or swung inwards very easily for bathing platform access.

Last edited by BruceK; 26-11-19 at 11:39.

any one got a nespresso working off an inverter ?
    1300W but not for long ?

The main problem I can see with google home for boat automation is that it doesn't work without an internet connection. That said are there any voice based control / watch helping products out there? It is possible to build decent voice control systems that don't need an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    any one got a nespresso working off an inverter ?
    1300W but not for long ?
    That'd be 100 plus amp pull on a 12V system. So doable unless you have true dedicated leisure D/C house batteries (or a lot of them) but not really advisable on a house battery setup. We have to suffer cafetiere our cruising companions, well we always know when they wake up when on an anchorage, they run a genny, we hunt for water bombs

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroberts View Post
    The main problem I can see with google home for boat automation is that it doesn't work without an internet connection. That said are there any voice based control / watch helping products out there? It is possible to build decent voice control systems that don't need an internet connection.
    It takes quite a lot of processing power to do general purpose, speaker independent voice recognition. I fired up something on a Raspberry Pi a couple of years ago and the results were distinctly unimpressive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast