Default Sealskinz have a sale on

Default Re: Sealskinz have a sale on

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    Not a fan. I find they get soggy and heavy - socks and gloves, that is. Poor seals if that's what their skin is like.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Not a fan. I find they get soggy and heavy - socks and gloves, that is. Poor seals if that's what their skin is like.
    You have been unlucky.

Before we were sailing we sold their products in our Motorcycle shop. Twenty years ago we used them on long distance trials events - for about six years - and found them superb.

If anything can be colder and wetter than winter motorcycling, its sailing.

We sold our sealskinz on here, gloves and socks, they were over 15 years old, worn about twenty times for 20 plus hours each wearing. I would demo them to customers by walking in a puddle with just the Sealskinz socks on my feet.

Whoever bought them might wish to comment?

I thought they would have been good for sea kayaking (which I used to do a lot of). They are not. Maybe motor bikes are diferent.

Sealskinz used to only make waterproof clothing I think. Certainly everything I bought or was given as gifts was waterproof, despite looking and feeling like knitted items sometimes. They now sell "water-repellent" items (no-one's ever managed to explain to me how something that repels water isn't waterproof but they aren't) and normal "gets soaked through" clothes as well which caught me out - I have now got some very nice but very expensive and not very waterproof socks. The older waterproof Sealskinz stuff I have remains very waterproof, though I haven't bought any new waterproof items from them in the last year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    Sealskinz used to only make waterproof clothing I think. Certainly everything I bought or was given as gifts was waterproof, despite looking and feeling like knitted items sometimes. They now sell "water-repellent" items (no-one's ever managed to explain to me how something that repels water isn't waterproof but they aren't) and normal "gets soaked through" clothes as well which caught me out - I have now got some very nice but very expensive and not very waterproof socks. The older waterproof Sealskinz stuff I have remains very waterproof, though I haven't bought any new waterproof items from them in the last year or two.
    My experience is from 10 years ago. Sea kayaking tends to be closer to the water - drips down paddles, standing in water to launch. Perhaps these items are more useful for less watery environments.

My experience is from 10 years ago. Sea kayaking tends to be closer to the water - drips down paddles, standing in water to launch. Perhaps these items are more useful for less watery environments.
    My wife suffers from cold hands so we have Sealskinz a spin following a trip to Southampton Boatshow.

Sailing in winter is also too watery!

Possibly good for biking etc., but the Boatshow marketing, including people happily standing in puddles of water, seems far fetched at best.

In my experience Sealskinz do a lot of different products. I buy cycling gloves that say they are 100% waterproof and have been using them for sailing, walking, mountain biking and occasional warmer days skiing for the last 10 or so years and the gloves have all worked well. Having dry hands can be dependent on the extremity of conditions and if its lashing down it can be difficult to stop the water running down your arms and into the gloves, that the only way my hands have got wet with sealskinz on. So in summary I have found they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    ... (no-one's ever managed to explain to me how something that repels water isn't waterproof but they aren't)...
    Surely that is to do with the pressure that the water exerts on the surface in question. Hence the "down to x metres" ratings. I assume that "repellent" just refers to resisting the weight of a globule resting on the surface; no "depth" at all!

Mike.

Only ever tried a pair of gloves. They were totally waterproof and fine until I took them off to fill the tank of my Bonnie. Couldn't get them back on my wet hands. Not fun when you're 20 miles from home in October on a cold, wet day.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun