Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Changing Cutless Bearings & Shaft seals - what a horrible job !

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    This can't be right at all............Shafts are simple, with little or no maintenance required and no expense spent. You must be doing something wrong. I suggest you go back to shaft school and have extra lessons with the head, Mr Oldgit
    Nah - still not having outdrives. For a shaft driven boat this is its first time in 28 years, not an annual PITA task.

The new PSS seal rotor will be bedded onto heavy duty waterproof grease so the crevice corrosion won't recur once the shaft is remediated, although I am checking price for a new shaft.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    The new PSS seal rotor will be bedded onto heavy duty waterproof grease so the crevice corrosion won't recur once the shaft is remediated
    No No No PSS specifically state not to put any petroleum products on the shaft or rotor so as to get onto the carbon stator.

I used washing up liquid to slide the stainless rotor O-rings along my prop shaft.

Out of interest was the crevice corrosion where the stuffing box was located or at any other location i.e cutlass bushes, prop or coupling location.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    No No No PSS specifically state not to put any petroleum products on the shaft or rotor so as to get onto the carbon stator.

I used washing up liquid to slide the stainless rotor O-rings along my prop shaft.

Out of interest was the crevice corrosion where the stuffing box was located or at any other location i.e cutlass bushes, prop or coupling location.
    Ah - thanks for that. I will just use some fairy liquid then.

The crevice corrosion was just where the stuffing box bears. I have had a steady seal drip from the starboard since I have owned the boat, and have noticed the rusty ring and brownish build up below the seal so I suspected there would be some pitting. The port was always a dry running seal, and virtually nil crevice corrosion, just a few very shallow pits.

I have sent details of the shaft to a firm we use for hard chroming and grinding in Trafford Park. Bit of a journey But I know they do a good job, but 2-3mm might be a bit too deep for the chroming process. I will also see about possibly TIG welding the deeper crevices and then chroming the rest after a cleaning cut on the grinder.

I have also put out an enquiry for a new shaft in Duplex stainless 1.4462 (2205) grade.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post

The crevice corrosion was just where the stuffing box bears. I have had a steady seal drip from the starboard since I have owned the boat.
    I have always considered that crevice corrosion could be a issue with a stuffing box especially one with a drip.

I did have my stainless rotor move on the shaft so I would recommend a locking ring as I don't like the soft 316 stainless grub screw that will not bight into the shaft.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    This can't be right at all............Shafts are simple, with little or no maintenance required and no expense spent. You must be doing something wrong. I suggest you go back to shaft school and have extra lessons with the head, Mr Oldgit

Yea I know it was £500 odd quid for new shaft, bit rich for my wallet and it might need doing again in another 10 or 15 years.

Spray weld and grind it and then chrome, any crank shaft refurb will be able to do it, the only issue could be the max length they can do as most are limited to about 1200mm between centres. there is a company in Northampton who can do larger and did a few large compressor cranks for me a few years ago, I will try and remember their name

These guys could do it
    LINCOLN CRANKSHAFT & MACHINE LTD

Local machine shop charged me around £140 to cut 1 1/2" inch shaft to length,drill hole for roll pin, taper to 1:16, machine new woodruff key and cut correct thread for a stainless nyloc. All done in a morning.
    Total cost including shaft was about £250 with new cutlass. Absolute bargain.
    Oops..... forgot a metre of packing from Ebay, add another £10.00.
    Last edited by oldgit; 02-12-19 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    These guys could do it
    LINCOLN CRANKSHAFT & MACHINE LTD
    Thanks - I will follow these guys up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123