Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Boat value relative to personal worth.

There's a thread ongoing on Trawler Forum about the typical relationship between boat value and personal net worth. There's mention of 5% as a guide figure but, in the main, contributors argue there's no typical relationship. Things are a bit different in the North America of course because of the high proportion of owners who borrow to buy. I'd imagine very few in Western Europe borrow to buy. What do forumites think? Is there a typical relationship between the two or even a perceived sensible target percentage?

Default Re: Boat value relative to personal worth.

I think it depends on how much of a boating fanatic you are .... and how the boat was bought. A buy-to-charter scheme could skew the numbers considerably.

5% works for me though - I considered a sunsail scheme before deciding to just pay cash for something a lot cheaper. Had it for almost 9 years now, so was the right decision IMHO.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Mine was a present from my late wife, purchased for a modest sum. It cost 10+x the purchase price to refit. I learned so much in the process. To me, my boat is priceless.

If my old boat's value amounted to 5% of my personal worth, my wife and I would be visiting food banks!
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

There is no comparison

Quote Originally Posted by cherod View Post
    There is no comparison
    +1

5%? I doubt most with £50k boats are millionaires.

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

If you take "net worth" literally, i.e. value of house plus other property, value of pension fund, savings etc, then my boats value would be a fraction of a percent of my "net worth"

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    If you take "net worth" literally, i.e. value of house plus other property, value of pension fund, savings etc, then my boats value would be a fraction of a percent of my "net worth"
    Value of house/property of course much depends on location, expensive SE or cheap NW. At the bottom end of the scale are those who've re-mortgaged the house to buy a boat and the liveaboards who've sold up to buy it and are surviving on pensions and diminishing savings - we've met a few of those, who have no asset except the boat and the future will be a council house or mobile home, not a place I would like to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    +1

5%? I doubt most with £50k boats are millionaires.
    I don't, certainly not all, but probably over 50% are. Just look at property values and, standfast liveaboards, most who own boats will own their house. Then add in the size of their pension fund.
    Last edited by Blue Sunray; 26-11-19 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    At the bottom end of the scale are those who've re-mortgaged the house to buy a boat and the liveaboards who've sold up to buy it
    What about liveaboards who never owned a house? I'm not sure I like being at the bottom of anyone's scale.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast