Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Boat value relative to personal worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
    I don’t know of any statistics to prove or disprove your theory but I am willing to bet those who borrow to purchase are mostly those who purchase small runabouts and go-fast craft.
    I don’t know of anyone who has borrowed to purchase a yacht in many years. The median age of owners has grown over the years and most have also financially matured to the point where toys are not financed.
    I suspect that a lot of purchases are also funded out of inheritances - small families with elderly parents living in houses that have shot up in value. I've seen a couple of fairly expensive boats in marinas recently with names like "Thanks Mum!" and "Thanks Nan!"

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    I suspect that a lot of purchases are also funded out of inheritances - small families with elderly parents living in houses that have shot up in value. I've seen a couple of fairly expensive boats in marinas recently with names like "Thanks Mum!" and "Thanks Nan!"
    I dunno. I think lots of younger people are buying boats under their own steam, especially in the South East. £350-600k would be a good but unexceptional wage for a mid/late-twenties finance worker and over the years both capital and salaries mount up.

By their late thirties decent boats are often well in range and a great addition to family life as their kids begin to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I dunno. I think lots of younger people are buying boats under their own steam, especially in the South East. £350-600k would be a good but unexceptional wage for a mid/late-twenties finance worker and over the years both capital and salaries mount up.

By their late thirties decent boats are often well in range and a great addition to family life as their kids begin to grow up.
    That surprises me. We are based in Solent marinas and I see few boat owners under the age of 50. A high proportion are well on the wrong side of 60. It seems that the young have largely lost interest in boat ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    That surprises me. We are based in Solent marinas and I see few boat owners under the age of 50. A high proportion are well on the wrong side of 60. It seems that the young have largely lost interest in boat ownership.
    For cruising sailing boats I'd certainly agree. But there's a heck of a young sailing scene in the Hamble and Lymington, and not to forget power vessels.

Many younger folk seem attracted to the turn-key convenience and speed of a mobo; I'm not quite sure why this is but it certainly seems to be a trend in the UK?

For cruising sailing boats I'd certainly agree. But there's a heck of a young sailing scene in the Hamble and Lymington, and not to forget power vessels.
    You're joking aren't you? We haven't had a young owner join the fleet in 10 years. Youngest owner I can think of is about 50. Most are retirement age. It's a big issue with future fleet numbers.
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    You're joking aren't you? We haven't had a young owner join the fleet in 10 years. Youngest owner I can think of is about 50. Most are retirement age. It's a big issue with future fleet numbers.
    That's my experience too. Of course there are some young owners, but the vast majority seem to be well into middle age, at least. Many of the (relatively) young sailors we see are actually borrowing the boat of an older relative.

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    In terms of sailing I was thinking of dinghies; bigger sailing boats have certainly fallen out of fashion for younger buyers. My point is that I don't think young are more cash strapped than they used to be, quite the opposite for those with good jobs.

But for whatever reason the younger types seem attracted to mobos not yachts and friends of mine in the business tell me the £600k-£1.2m mobo new bracket has tons of interest with a significant chunk coming from buyers far from middle age. As a consequence, apparently great value exists in fairly new mobos as the new buyers seem to only want new.
    Last edited by dom; 29-11-19 at 12:20.

Be realistic, they're a tiny minority of the population and bear no resemblance to the majority of owners. Those based in the expensive south coast marinas may be surprised that, out in the sticks, there are still countless owners having fun in 1970s & 80s smaller and cheaper boats and enjoying doing their own maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
    I think it depends on how much of a boating fanatic you are ....
    I agree. I consider myself pretty fanatical in that I'd rather stay on a Westerly Centaur than in a 5* hotel. After downsizing the house last year I'm planning on moving from a 5% to 30% boat and can't wait.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Be realistic, they're a tiny minority of the population and bear no resemblance to the majority of owners. Those based in the expensive south coast marinas may be surprised that, out in the sticks, there are still countless owners having fun in 1970s & 80s smaller and cheaper boats and enjoying doing their own maintenance.
    I did say the South East!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast