Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red in Eire.

Default Re: Red in Eire.

Quote Originally Posted by James L View Post

Would be very difficult to enforce anyway, as you'd have to be stopping boats which were underway as there is no law against having it in your tanks and not using it for propulsion.

Not true - it is illegal to have marked fuel in a tank that can be connected to the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    Not true - it is illegal to have marked fuel in a tank that can be connected to the engine.
    Will the diesel police be checking ?

Marked Gas Oil in Ireland is actually green in colour, not red. I think the issue is that the Government have not given a changeover/grace period of two years like they were supposed to. The other big issue will be getting marinas and waterside fuel sellers to change to White road diesel. Inland will be okay because there is little or no commercial traffic but at sea there will be big issues where the fuel sellers will make more money from selling Green to the fishing fleet, etc.
    A lot of marinas at sea are going to offer white road diesel in cans but that won’t work for your typical twin engines 40 footer looking for 500-1000 litres.

Why cant you use Red for you generator that has engine.

Separate tank for your heating??

Quote Originally Posted by Lulla-Belle View Post
    Why cant you use Red for you generator that has engine.

Separate tank for your heating??
    You can use red to drive a dedicated generator, you are not allowed to have it in a tank that can be routed to the propulsion engine

......., you are not allowed to have it in a tank that can be routed to the propulsion engine
    Will anyone give a toss if I use marked fuel in my boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Will anyone give a toss if I use marked fuel in my boat ?
    Well, enforcement is a different matter - I thought we were discussing legality. The authorities in Belgium have demonstrably taken enforcement seriously, it remains to be seen how HMRC will view it if and when this country changes the rules. Since most of us will be carrying significant amounts of marked fuel in our tanks, I would assume that they will give us the benefit of the doubt for the next 12 months or more.

Suspect that depends if you intend using the boat outside the UK, ( and possibly Scotland) or if the HMRC decide that they need to make an example of somebody ?
    Suspect word will travel very fast indeed the first time the white van and the men with black shiney shoes appear in any UK marina/boatyard car park.
    Last edited by oldgit; 30-11-19 at 09:07.

Has anyone heard of a date when UK marina fuel changing to white?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Has anyone heard of a date when UK marina fuel changing to white?
    I don't think there has been any official announcement yet - I guess it depends a lot on the outcome of this election and the fate of Brexit. If the election produces a result that leads to Brexit being cancelled, then we must assume that Brussels is going to press for HMRC to act upon the court ruling pretty quickly and we can expect that sales of marked fuel will end within the next few months - much the same as Ireland. If the Conservatives get back with a decent majority and it is clear that Brexit will be completed in some shape and form within the next 12 months, then I guess that any decision on the fate of marked fuel will be pushed back. Governments on both sides of the Channel will have far more important things to worry about and the eventual requirement will depend on the type of Brexit we end up with. If it's a hard Brexit, then there will be no pressure for the government to change the current rules. If it is a soft Brexit, then we will be under pressure to harmonise taxation as much as possible and the recent ruling may still stand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12