Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballast

Default Re: Ballast

I'm not so brazen as to comment on your education but I'd love to see how adding 2x30kg to one side adds 120 kilo to it. It could only equal 120 kilo total weight if you added another 2 x 30kg to the opposite side to balance it.

As for fulcrum think of a balance scale

in one side you have 2 x 30kg weights on one side. How do you balance it?

a) move one of the 30kg weights across to the empty pan. Total weight at fulcrum is still 60kg
    b) add 2x 30 kg weights to the opposite pan. Total weight at fulcrum now 120kg

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I'm not so brazen as to comment on your education but I'd love to see how adding 2x30kg to one side adds 120 kilo to it. It could only equal 120 kilo total weight if you added another 2 x 30kg to the opposite side to balance it.

As for fulcrum think of a balance scale

in one side you have 2 x 30kg weights on one side. How do you balance it?

a) move one of the 30kg weights across to the empty pan. Total weight at fulcrum is still 60kg
    b) add 2x 30 kg weights to the opposite pan. Total weight at fulcrum now 120kg
    Ah ok. The bit you've missed (I think) is that Stelican's point was that he was *moving* 2x30kg from one side of the boat to the other - not simply *adding* 2x30kg to one side (ie option A in your example here). But still - in terms of the list of the boat (and nothing else), isn't that just the same as adding (not moving) 120kg to one side?

the OP says it took two blokes totalling 30 stone to balance the boat. I'm saying he should not look for 30 stone ballast. He should move as much as he can of any equipment / storage items he can from the offending side totalling no more than 15 stone to compensate.

If he can only move 5 stone across he will have a 20 stone imbalance and will need to compensate with that amount of ballast.
    If he can only move 10 stone across he will still need 10 stone of ballast.
    etc
    Every bit of ballast he adds obviously adds to the total weight carried so the optimum at no extra weight will be move just 15 stone across.
    Failure to do this will add a further 30 stone to counterbalance his boat and on a single engined 29 foot boat that is an awful lot of dead weight.

However I see Stelican's point and then would concurr. I didnt read it that way. Mea culpa

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    the OP says it took two blokes totalling 30 stone to balance the boat. I'm saying he should not look for 30 stone ballast. He should move as much as he can of any equipment / storage items he can from the offending side totalling no more than 15 stone to compensate.

If he can only move 5 stone across he will have a 20 stone imbalance and will need to compensate with that amount of ballast.
    If he can only move 10 stone across he will still need 10 stone of ballast.
    etc
    Every bit of ballast he adds obviously adds to the total weight carried so the optimum at no extra weight will be move just 15 stone across.
    Failure to do this will add a further 30 stone to counterbalance his boat and on a single engined 29 foot boat that is an awful lot of dead weight.

However I see Stelican's point and then would concurr. I didnt read it that way. Mea culpa
    Gotcha. We are in violent agreement. You're saying 'don't add 30 stone, just move 15 stone'. I'm saying 'moving 60kg is the same as adding 120kg'. All good. Beer earned

Can I simply add that "Been there got the T shirt"

join the crowd. Take a walk along any marina with a critical eye. Most boats at rest have a slight bias.

Largest addition I have made was 300kg aft!

Check there’s no water from whatever source in a bilge compartment .
    Check any plumbing fittings on the stb side are not leaking .
    Thirdly a bit left of field but a good buyers survey will pick this up ........any foam or balsa core on the listing side is wet , absorbed water = more weight = list more noticeable on a small boat .

But although you say it’s always been like that in your ownership thing is new std boats same spec may not list .

I had a similar issue slight list to stb on a 17 ton boat .Turned out 600L of 3 y old diesel in custom long range tank .My fault I forgot about it being full this tank has no gauge you suppose to drain it into the 2x mains to top em up on a planned long trip .Generic manual for the boat was silent as it’s a bespoke feature .This LR tank was as outboard as it could be .The mains are near the CL .
    Fortunately I had dosed the LR tank with “ Starbrite “ fuel snake oil and it seemed to work so I just diverted it off into the mains and emptied it .
    Once the 5/600 Kgs sat outboard went the boat sat more / less well balanced .

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    Largest addition I have made was 300kg aft!
    hopefully rectified with bigger meatier engines

Would the forum agree that single engine boats are more susceptible to listing?
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast