Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mainsheet doubling

I waited in vain for some discussion of the different mainsheet arrangements favoured by competitors in the recent GGR. Several had the conventional single multipart onto a cross-cockpit traveller setup. Others had a 'twin' multipart mainsheet , with the lower ends taken to strong points on the cockpit coamings. e.g.

Some of the 'differences' are evident - e.g walkthrough to transom, better control in crash-gybe circumstances - but I'd be most interested in others' perspectives.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Default Re: Mainsheet doubling

Looks overly complex for no real advantage Imho... though I would be interested to hear what that might be...

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Looks overly complex for no real advantage Imho... though I would be interested to hear what that might be...
    And very slow to sheet in. Looks more appropriate for the spanker of a barque or ship.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    And very slow to sheet in. Looks more appropriate for the spanker of a barque or ship.
    She doesn’t appear to have a very powerful vang... I suppose you could also get some control of the boom vertically with that Set up(?)

The owner of the boat in the pic 'knows his onions'. Both he and his boat survived a Round-The World Singlehanded Race, and some survival storms..... and he won it. He'd have had his reasons....

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    She doesn’t appear to have a very powerful vang... I suppose you could also get some control of the boom vertically with that Set up(?)
    Not when the boom is well out to one side, I wouldn't have thought. Perhaps her owner is disabled and needs an unusually powerful tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    The owner of the boat in the pic 'knows his onions'. Both he and his boat survived a Round-The World Singlehanded Race, and some survival storms..... and he won it. He'd have had his reasons....
    I'd like to know what they are because I'm always keen to learn better ways of doing things and if it's better than my set-up, which is that favoured by Eric Hiscock (see my avatar), I might adopt it.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I noticed the same arrangement on ‘Nicola Deux’ at SIBS. I had the opportunity to ask Tony Curphey about it but I was preoccupied with some of his other arrangements. Anyway he is very much in favour of it.

The obvious point is that the main is triangulated, so to speak, so the boom is held rigid when reefing and stowing or and when hove to - indeed at all times when close hauled.

I get a similar effect with a handy billy and a pair of snap shackles braced against the main and traveller when stowing up. I can certainly see benefits to this.
    Last edited by Kukri; 26-11-19 at 22:04.

Here it is in use:

race-leader-jean-luc-van-den-heede-and-his-yacht-matmut-are.jpg

Looks like each tackle is double-ended so it wouldn't be slow if both ends are hauled in together.

And it doesn't need a traveller.
    Last edited by Poignard; 26-11-19 at 22:09.

It looks great, with advantages of redundancy and triangulation, but..to move the boom, wouldn't you be having to ease out one sheet, under control, as you shortened the other sheet?
    Unless I'm missing something, you'd need an extra arm!
    Especially if you had to do the tiller or even swap over the runners, simultaneously
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast