Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saving Lives at Sea

Last Nights programme was pretty gripping viewing.

This program finally gets a thumbs up from me for showing an occasion when the true nature of RNLI volunteers risking their lives to save both a lone yachtsman and his craft was presented factually.

Risking their own lives and craft, damaging their craft and themselves, puts the previous programs of dramatised "summer time blue sky shouts" into perspective.

This is a you tube link of the rescue of a lone yachtsman out of the "washing machine" off Brighton. I am sure the entire episode can be found on BBC I player.

https://youtu.be/a62EZmRmCyQ

The Brighton crew on the Atlantic rib deserve much much more than our appreciation for recognition of their bravery.
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Default Re: Saving Lives at Sea

Has a new series started, or is this a repeat? I remember a story like this in an episode a year or two ago, but maybe there’s been a similar incident again?

Pete

Why did the bloke in the yacht not chuck the anchor out? It always amazes me that boats with engine failure never throw the anchor out. It might not have solved the problem, but it would have slowed his approach into the shallows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Why did the bloke in the yacht not chuck the anchor out? It always amazes me that boats with engine failure never throw the anchor out. It might not have solved the problem, but it would have slowed his approach into the shallows.
    They do - I dropped the anchor quickly a couple of years ago - but we never hear about boats that create enough time to sort their own problems out.

But having said that I only used my anchor half a dozen times in a decade in my previous boat around the South Coast and just used marinas so anchor, warp and chain were in a forward locker not ready on deck.

Did anyone else notice that the Starboard monitor on the Atlantic 75 was showing the windows loading screen for the whole of the rescue..

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    I threw an anchor or the stern when I had engine and rigging failure, and was being driven toward a rocky shore. The anchor bit before I had a chance to let go of the line. The rope in my hands broke six of my fingers in an instant, and the nightmare continued....

It's often too easy to see a solution, while sitting safely at home in a chair.

I've seen that before, but as the owner of a UFO 31 it's especially harrowing!

Quote Originally Posted by northwind View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the Starboard monitor on the Atlantic 75 was showing the windows loading screen for the whole of the rescue..
    I think you are wrong.
    It is only showing for a short time at end of video.
    At all other times it is visible it is showing a radar type display.
    I suspect the last thing they needed was radar screen once they made visual contact and given their proximity to the harbour wall.
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

Nice film and rescue from our boys in orange.

Just shows how dangerous being in the surf can be.

When I remember, I like to stand well offshore in lively weather. I remember that the Pardeys did this all the time in their engine less yachts where possible.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    Nice film and rescue from our boys in orange.

Just shows how dangerous being in the surf can be.

When I remember, I like to stand well offshore in lively weather. I remember that the Pardeys did this all the time in their engine less yachts where possible.
    I suspect the guy was aiming to come into Brighton so had put his jib away but then his engine failed. I doubt he was that close to the shore for the fun of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast