Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Saving Lives at Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    I suspect the guy was aiming to come into Brighton so had put his jib away but then his engine failed. I doubt he was that close to the shore for the fun of it.
    No I realise that . It was not meant to be a criticism of the casualty .
    Last edited by LONG_KEELER; 27-11-19 at 16:33.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

This program always gets a thumbs up from me and is about the only thing I watch on telly these days! I particularly liked the tow of a yacht off Ireland in fruity conditions (I think from the series before last). Amazing to see how (relatively) calm things became when the lifeboat crew managed to pass they yacht a drogue, which they duly deployed. Good to see one in action, especially with the footage taken from a slight height advantage (eg the deck of the lifeboat)

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.

Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    I think you are wrong.
    It is only showing for a short time at end of video.
    At all other times it is visible it is showing a radar type display.
    I suspect the last thing they needed was radar screen once they made visual contact and given their proximity to the harbour wall.
    Before the most recent update, the Atlantic 85 nav system was prone to crashing occasionally. But switching it off and on again usually fixed it.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Twothree View Post
    Before the most recent update, the Atlantic 85 nav system was prone to crashing occasionally. But switching it off and on again usually fixed it.
    My comment was more at the surprise that on a boat that moves about a lot they chose to use a PC based system, given how salt water and computers don't usually mix, do they use a commercially available system or is it one they have built in house?

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.

Quote Originally Posted by northwind View Post
    My comment was more at the surprise that on a boat that moves about a lot they chose to use a PC based system, given how salt water and computers don't usually mix, do they use a commercially available system or is it one they have built in house?
    All done in house, I think, by people at Poole who are far cleverer than me. I know what the system does, and how to use it, but not how it actually works.

It's similar, but not identical, across all the classes of lifeboat.

Everything is solid state, and very waterproof.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12