Default What outboard recommended.

What it s the word on the water, am thinking of buying merry fisher marlin 7 and need to match it with a 200hp outboard, will just be using it for fishing ,picnics, trolling etc. I am hearing a lot about evinrude two stroke g2 engines how wonderful they are but not sure weather to stick to 4 stroke Yamaha perhaps, anybody got any thoughts on the matter please.

Default Re: What outboard recommended.

If I were in the market for a 200hp outboard I would defo be getting an Evinrude G2. Better torque and performance, alleged better fuel economy, brilliant service intervals and just funky to look at.

If, however, you want a four stroke, then any Yam, Suzuki, Honda, Tohatsu, Mercury or Mariner will do. There is little to choose between them, although I do like the latest 200 from Mercury

For your purpose, and because most MF seem to come fitted with them, I would probably recommend for you a Yamaha.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinderstu View Post
    What it s the word on the water, am thinking of buying merry fisher marlin 7 and need to match it with a 200hp outboard, will just be using it for fishing ,picnics, trolling etc. I am hearing a lot about evinrude two stroke g2 engines how wonderful they are but not sure weather to stick to 4 stroke Yamaha perhaps, anybody got any thoughts on the matter please.
    Where you going to keep the boat, and what makes do the local engineers cover for servicing and warranty?

I really like the Evinrude g2 but what worries me is there's no statistics on two stroke oil consumption and what I have read on US sites there are some scary stories about it...it seems to have been omitted from All the fuel economy figures.

Will be keeping the boat in Fethiye sw turkey there are good service engineers for most brands.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinderstu View Post
    I really like the Evinrude g2 but what worries me is there's no statistics on two stroke oil consumption and what I have read on US sites there are some scary stories about it...it seems to have been omitted from All the fuel economy figures.
    They will get through a fair amount if you go everywhere at full throttle, but as slow speeds, and idle, the clever electronics lean the oil use right off so that it uses a bare minimum. Think along the lines of using 50:1 at full throttle, right down to something like 150:1 (but don't quote me) at idle. The oil is expensive, but you do save on servicing and allegedly on fuel so I don't see the oil usage being a problem. If you are serious about your trolling, make sure whatever outboard you get has a trolling option that allows you to reduce revs right down for best trolling speeds. Most of the big outboard manufacturers offer this now, I know Mercury and Yamaha do, but worth checking.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

I have had 2 Evinrudes and they're pretty bullet proof. They have fewer moving parts than 4 strokes and over the years I have never had a moments worry. If I was buying now I would by a G2 without a doubt. The only problem in this country is that there are relatively few dealers. And some are rubbish!
    Ignore comments you read on american forums but do register with the etec owners group ( https://www.etecownersgroup.com/) absolute gold mine of information. I also purchased diagnostic software and connectors from US dealers I found on the forum which meant I did not need to go to a UK dealer for fault finding. UK ones won't sell you the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by robmchugh View Post
    I have had 2 Evinrudes and they're pretty bullet proof. They have fewer moving parts than 4 strokes and over the years I have never had a moments worry. If I was buying now I would by a G2 without a doubt. The only problem in this country is that there are relatively few dealers. And some are rubbish!
    Ignore comments you read on american forums but do register with the etec owners group ( https://www.etecownersgroup.com/) absolute gold mine of information. I also purchased diagnostic software and connectors from US dealers I found on the forum which meant I did not need to go to a UK dealer for fault finding. UK ones won't sell you the kit.
    Thanks for that, useful information .

Without a shadow of doubt...the new mercury 200 engine is simply an incredible thing. Class leader by a long long way.
    Extremely lightweight...big displacement and torque or a 2 stroke. I honestly thought it was a verado or optimax when she took off. Every bit as electric as any 200hp old 2 stroke for power. Not to mentions the ridiculous economy it can achieve.
    Have a read up on the new model. Its light years ahead of the rest. Totally new development from Merc. Bang up to date manufacturing process and tooling were conceived for these things. Makes them so light and also means they can make a bigger displacement engine, producing huge Torque. Well known to be certainly producing more power than the badge on the engine too.