Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Next two Fastnet Races to finish in Cherbourg

http://www.rorc.org/news/news-2019/r...e-in-cherbourg

That's one 'ell of a trip back (& a fair trip home for some).
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Default Re: Next two Fastnet Races to finish in Cherbourg

Selling it to the French then !!
    Sold everything else, I suppose it is all we have left.
    At least Corbyn will not be able to nationalise it.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    At least Corbyn will not be able to nationalise it.
    Maybe not.........but he could tax it. :-(

Seems worth a try - after all they do send the tour here.

Should be interesting seeing the fleet dodging all the commercial traffic plying the channel mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    Should be interesting seeing the fleet dodging all the commercial traffic plying the channel mind.
    Ooo err that is a good point. The shortest route would temp racers to slice through the Casquets TSS at a fine and illegal angle. I wonder if they will introduce a race course mark to prevent that? Guernsey to Port.

All the TSSs are out of bounds for the Fastnet race... This includes three of them around the Isles of Scilly and one really close to the Fastnet rock itself..

RORC racers are quite familiar with racing across channel.. The ships always add a little extra

It's actually quite tricky staying out of the TSS just going down channel towards the Eddystone if you're on a beat.

Having read several complaints about the loos in Plymouth I wonder if this is allow some improvements?
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

The claim being made is that it allows more entrants because of the facilities in France. I guess the French will start from the UK and enjoy the arrival back in France. I don't know how this event is currently run regarding berthing but I imagine after a long race, struggling to find berths in the UK before heading home to France is the problem. If the objective is to increase the number of entrants, then it makes sense as France are big sailors and support the industry.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I don't know how this event is currently run regarding berthing but I imagine after a long race, struggling to find berths in the UK before heading home to France is the problem.
    I assumed that one's entry to the race included an assigned berth in Plymouth for the subsequent festivities. Bit crap to be crossing the finish line with someone grovelling around on the VHF asking "do you have a berth for tonight?"

Sounds like they had to limit numbers for lack of available places in Plymouth, whereas with Cherbourg's local government on-side they can arrange more berths there and allow more entrants.

With my conspiracy-theory hat on I do wonder whether Sutton Harbour being awkward might have had anything to do with it, but I have no evidence for that whatsoever.

Pete

Plymouth always seemed to be a bit of a dreary, dull, anticlimactic finish; not sure why, but it did.

And contrary to what many believe Cherbourg is intensely nervous of losing British yachting custom, either by reason of post-Brexit restrictions, or arguably worse, through a perception that British yachts are not really welcome there any more.

Bagging the Fastnet Race finish following a year or so of quite intensive self-help measures is therefore seen as major coup.

And rightly so; it may very well turn out a win-win for all.
    Last edited by dom; 28-11-19 at 11:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast