Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Next two Fastnet Races to finish in Cherbourg

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Plymouth always seemed to be a bit of a dreary, dull, anticlimactic finish; not sure why, but it did.

And contrary to what many believe Cherbourg is intensely nervous of losing British yachting custom, either by reason of post-Brexit restrictions, or arguably worse, through a perception that British yachts are not really welcome there any more.

Bagging the Fastnet Race finish following a year or so of quite intensive self-help measures is therefore seen as major coup.

And rightly so; it may very well turn out a win-win for all.
    Just wait for the French fishermen to kick off when their fishing become more restricted!
    Personally, I hope that reductions and changes from the dilariously stupid common fisheries policy will be gradual as it is really not fair to cut anyone off in a big shut down event - it should be a change over several years. Of course conservation of fish stocks must be top of the agenda - sorry thread drift.

What are the dates that yachts will be expected to return? I always travel to & from Cherbourg on my summer cruise to the CI's. I stop there to visit a friend for up to a week at a time. I do not want to have berthing hassle.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I raced in this year's race. I have to say, with the exception of the RORC race 'village' there was very little in Plymouth to commend having the race finish there. I'm sure that the french will invest more heavily in supporting the race - very much to the benefit of the city's profile and status.
    It's Plymouth's loss, Cherbourg's gain.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

I think that Sutton harbour priced themselves out. What they are charging these days is nuts, this is the result.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Silly question - what is the new distance and what are the turning marks?

The original/existing race was 608 miles. The new course is expected to be 90 miles further..

The previous course, after leaving Cowes, basically left all the main south coast headlands and Land's End to starboard, then left the fastnet Rock to Port and finally left the Isles of Scilly to Port on the way back.

So on the way out you could go either side (or through) the Isles of Scilly, but you had to pass outside all the islands on the way back. I'd expect the course to be the same, apart from the finish!

All TSSs are out of bounds.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Thank you. I suppose Scilly Isles to port takes care of itself now. I am wondering if there will be another mark to keep the race fleet reasonably clear of shipping approaching Cherbourg The new distance keeps the race in line with the Bermuda, Sydney Hobart, South China Sea, etc., races.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12